Just got screw – contract

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey Guys,

I just got screwed on some work. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer me a template for a contract so I can start writing contracts for my work from now on. It would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Participant

Always get some money up front.

Did you know most weddings are fully paid for before the event?

Everyone in the loop is getting upfront money.

It is extremely difficult to get paid when the party is over, that’s just the way of it.

Contracts, are only an agreement or understanding for what is to be done. Just google nd you can find all kindsof stuff, probably consulting contracts would serve you best.

I’m not into this professionally, but I think you can get zip drives to put up enough content that remains yours, which you can show your client on any computer by plugging into a USB port. All the content remains in your possession until it’s paid in full.

Carefully about contracts. You may be able to enforce one, but you’d better be able to prove up (hard copy) if you go to court.

The best contract you can get is half down, and payments as you go. Let them hold about about 10% max, but never give it all out untill you’re paid in full.

Ishould add one more thing. If you are going to invest your time, talent and equipment to do the job it isnot disrespectful or too forward to ask formoney inadvance and as you work on the project.Contracts are a mutual agreement, not a unilateral agreements. In other words… it takes two to make one, and you should be regarded respectfully throughout the work… or chance are you’re going to have difficulty getting your money. It really helps when the client invests something in you (money that is).

If your client doesn’t respect you enough to pay advances and as you go, then you probably won’tget paid anyway.

Good luck

Participant

If you receive advances and payments as you go on the project a disgruntled client cannot win in court. By the client paying you as you go, he is basically saying the work was advancing satisfactorily. Advances and pay as you go are corroboration of satisfactory performance by the client.

There are many conditions where contracts can work against you. A verbal contract with advance payments makes the burden of proof very difficult for the client.

Think about it, and good luck

Participant

Man, Rob. That’s too bad. I got screwed on a whole month’s work once and will probably never get paid for it, but still have the work as a demo for other jobs. I feel for you.

There are some contact templates on sonnyboo.com, courtesy of Peter John Ross. What a guy! The contracts are in the same area of the website where the free music is.

Participant

Thanks Chris

Ah finaly a topic I can help Rob with.

I make 2 dvd’s, the finished product that I keep until paided in full, and a demo dvd that I pasted a floating Demo all over the product. I gues one chould edit it out if they had a few years to spend but it would be a bit cheaper to just pay me.

Another IDea I have but havn’t tried yet is to provide the demo on my web site in a smaller format.

Participant

That’s a good idea – putting something like a watermark over top. Maybe next time I’ll just put a big, ugly timecode generator on top.

Thanks for that tip too!

Now thats a great idea, time, date, time code gen, and a big honken pay your bill loser. well maybe not that last part

Participant

Written contract that spells out both parties rights and expectations and everybody’s happy.

We get 1/3 on signing, one third a moth before the wedding, and on third on delivery.

that final third….if there are any concerns(late payments/bridezilla/ or whatever)/, we can and do ask for cash/certified cheque on the final payment (it’s in the contract).

We have a shipping form that requires the client to review/inspect/approve the product and sign off on it.

then we hand over the product.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap