Just a few questions.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m an aspiring video editor, and I had a few questions about the industry in general.

Is it possible to have a steady job WITH OUT having your own business?
      If yes, is it rare?

Thanks,

Kyle

Hi Kyle,

Yes, it’s possible to work as an editor professionally and find steady and consistent work. Is it rare? Video is becoming more common place in many industries, from corporate video to viral marketing, so more opportunities are popping everywhere. But, being in a TV and Film environment where professional editing jobs exist in abundance would require you to be in at least a major city, if not LA or NYC.

Here’s some suggestions for finding editing work in your neck of the woods:
      See mandy.com (look up your area for jobs)
      Check you local media outlets; local broadcasters, cable company, news paper (many news papers are adding video to their websites to stay competitive)

Mark

Participant

Is it more or less on a project to project basis? I enjoy editing, but I find I need a steady job with out having to worry about finding work every couple months.
      Also, what is the best step to take to get my foot in the door, right out of school?

Participant

Anybody? πŸ™

Inactive

A very large company or research organization might have an in-house audio-visual facility. Such a facility woud be for making training videos, or technical presentations to outsiders. Getting your foot in the door probably requires a bit of luck…. being at the right place at the right time. And be prepared to start out as a general assistant, only getting editing work when it’s needed.

Another strategy is to work anywhere that could sometimes use some video work. Offer to do some video work for the company on your own time. That MIGHT get you known as the guy to go to for video needs. Then join a local video professional organization, presenting yourself as the video guy from that company. You can make contacts with the professional organiztion, and maybe eventually get a full time video job.

The bottom line is: you’ll probably need patience getting into the perfect job. You may have to help a so-so job "morph into" the job you really want.

Good luck, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Portfolio, Portfolio, Portfolio…

Lots of people ‘talk the talk’, but if you can slap a DVD into someone’s hand that shows them your creative ability, you WILL have an edge. Way better than simply telling people you can and hoping that’s enough.

You could maybe produce a simple ‘How to…’ video relating to a hobby or interest you have. Or a few of them. They don’t need to be long. Even a well made video showing how to boil an egg is a tool you can use to get your foot in a door!

Armed with this type of thing, I would take you much more seriously than someone walking into my office asking for a job armed with nothing but words. Give me a well produced DVD I can put on while you’re there and you WILL impress me. No doubt. No guarantees, obviously, but to show me, rather than to tell me, would be what grabs my attention as a prospective employer.

As Ken said, be prepared to start on the bottom rung of the ladder. Having an edge to help you get onto it is what matters at this stage.

Best of luck to you – go show ’em what you can do… πŸ™‚

I so much agree with Jon.

Talk is cheap. Your work should speak for itself.

kevin

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lenses for video β€” 2021

Lenses are key to making your favorite camera create the images you envision. These are the best lenses for video available today.
homicide-bootstrap