It’s my first time using Sony Vegas and I need some help?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing It’s my first time using Sony Vegas and I need some help?

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Instead of asking you 1 billion questions (since I’m new), I’m only going to ask you one.

I have a gameboy, and I’m going to dupe a video over it.

So in the final video, you are going to see my playing my gameboy with a video on top of the screen.

Here’s my question:

How do I make the (2nd video) stay on top of the gameboy screen without it always moving into a different direction when I move my gameboy around.

Participant

You could try the image stabilization – it MIGHT work. Other than that you could adjust frame by frame to center the screen – but that will take ages longer.

Participant

How do i do the I.S?

Participant

IS is not the tool you want. Use either Pan/Crop or Track Motion to shrink and move the second video around. If it’s going to stay in the same place all the time, set it and forget it. If it has to move around, than you;re looking at a lot more work as you need to use keyframes. All these terms are explained in the manual and online help menu.

Mike

Participant

Image stabilization might work if the screen is not moving that much – it would do most of the tracking for you by nature of the tool. Right click on the clip and then choose “Stabilize Media…” then follow the prompts. You may want to try a few settings to see if you can get it to work.

If that does not work, then your only other option is track motion or pan/crop keyframes (as rs suggested), or even adjust frame by frame if the movement is serious enough.

You may want to find a way to mount the camera to the gameboy to keep the camera in a fixed position for best results. Or look online to see if there are any gameboy shooting tips out there!

Participant

There seems to be some confusion here (for me anyway). Are you recording yourself playing the game? Describing exactly what you’re doing at the time of the initial recording would help.

Mike

Participant

It sounds like you want to do motion tracking- search for ‘motion tracking sony vegas’ and you should get tons of hits, including some direct tutorials.

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
      Participant

Yep that motion tracking, something better suite for After Effects (or Mocha). In Vegas you will most likely end up adjusting frame by frame with the Pan/Crop tool or the Track Motion. I’m with Mike, “describing exactly what you’re doing at the time of the initial recording would help”

Participant

Forgot to mention, is that a Hydralisk in your profile picture?

Participant

Ok let me explain what I’m trying to do.

So I have a gameboy, and the screen is black. OK? Simple.

I want to put a (starcraft 2 match) video on top of the game boy’s screen. Simple?

So.. that it looks like im playing starcraft 2 on the gameboy? Yes?

Here’s the PROBLEM!!

I want t be able to move my gameboy around (so it looks less fake) .

How do I make the starcraft 2 video follow my gameboys screen around?

Thanks

@guywithcamera Yes its a Hydralisk. :p

Participant

Fetcha

Members here refer to others by their username, mine is @Sargehero or Luis.

In order to do what you want you will need to go frame by frame adjusting the second video with the track motion tool. If the video is long, the keyframing will take A LOT of time to make. Some suggestions; do not do this shot handheld, use a tripod. Keyframing handheld shots is more difficult because of the natural shaking of the camera (cause by your hands). Set the camera in one place and move the Gameboy to the direction your camera is seeing. Make sure the Gameboy screen is always shown in camera. Also, put a visible red dot (or any color that stands out) in the center of the Gameboy screen. This will make the keyframing process a lot easier because in post you will clearly see the dot. Note: In editing you need to superimpose the video of Starcraft on top of the Gameboy video and then do the tracking.To make it more believable play between close ups and medium shots while you move the Gameboy (this is more complicated, but try it out). It will take a couple of trail and errors (and a lot of time), but it can be easily done.

PS: The next thing could be making a holographic projection of the Starcraft 2 video coming out of the Gameboy, but that more advance.

PSS: Protoss RULE!!! πŸ™‚

Participant

Luis (Sargehero) and Jigme Daniels are correct in that motion tracking is the best way of doing this to save you a LOT of work and BCC 7 from Boris is the right tool for the job in Vegas. Take a look at the following tutorial on it for a better idea of its capabilities.

http://borisfx.com/videos/BCCVegas/Match-Move.php

Mike

Participant

Mike – Thanks for that – Johnny Roy is a super guy and an excellent resource!

Good find.

Participant

Bruce, I had the pleasure of meeting John at NAB a number of years ago. You’re right about him being a super guy who gives a LOT back to the Vegas community. Most if not all of of the Vegas tutorials on the Boris site were done by him.

http://borisfx.com/videos/BCCVegas/ if anyone is interested in more BCC 7 tutorials.

Mike

Participant

Sorry about that

Participant

Fetcha, what are you sorry about?

Mike

Participant

Fetcha

Members here refer to others by their username, mine is @Sargehero or Luis.

Participant

One way to reduce the amount of “chasing” might be to do your main shot with green paper over the GB screen. Then chroma-key in the game footage about 1.5x the size of the target screen. you will still have to keyframe in the motion, but it won’t be as critical to keep the images aligned. Just a thought.

Fetcha, if I was creating a project like you’re trying to do, I’d (guessing you’re doing this alone) put my camera on a tripod pointing at you and your Gameboy, and you’d look like you’re actually working hard at playing that game.

Then, on a second clip, set the tripod and zoom in on the Gameboy, no background, only your hand and the Gameboy playing the same game.

Then, in Sony Vegas, put the second clip in a lower corner (picture in picture). It gives the viewer a better perspective.

My 2

Inactive

Your best bet is to use boris fx or red and corner pin and motion track with that, otherwise you will have to do a lot of keyframing with 3d track motion.

John

anyone tried delta emulator on iPhone?, how it is working on your mobile. Need some guidance to download it on my mobile. ref: http://deltaemulatorappios.com/

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap