Issue with music and sound in FCP

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

A few months ago I finished a movie that I made with some friends. I used some music I found online for the soundtrack. The files are MP3 format. I imported them and put them into the timeline where I wanted them, and using whatever in and out points that I needed. Well, some of them, when I played them back in the timeline, played a totally different part of the song. If I double-clicked on the audio clip at the point where it was wrong, it would play fine in the Viewer, but the timeline/canvas was still off. Has anyone experienced this before? It’s like it’s not referencing the right parts of the mp3 file. I tried deleting the file and re-importing it, and even redownloading it, and nothing seemed to work. It was just annoying that I found the perfect music for the scene, and then the program screwed it up. I’ve got the movie on dvd, and there’s parts where it plays the song, and it gets to where the end of the file was, and the song ends, then it picks up again where it should have been.

I had another issue when playing clips in reverse. If I had a clip that was just part of a longer clip, and I had it play in reverse, it wouldn’t play the sound for the part that was reversed, but for something from a different part of the original clip. This might be hard to understand, but basically, it just didn’t get the sound right.

I’ve heard lots of great things about FCP, but if I were to buy my own editing software, with these issues, I couldn’t justify putting any amount of money towards it. Anyhoo, just a bit peeved. If anyone has any answers or suggestions, I’d appreciate them, thanks,

Lee

Participant

The thing about MP3 files for editing purposes is they are crap. Go into itunes and change it into a .wav file and try it again.

Phil

Inactive

I’m trying for the life of me to figure out what FCP is? I’m guessing its an editing application. Premiere and Avid are coming to mind but FCP?

As this is true with Premiere, MP3s are not a good idea. Premiere doesn’t like ANY compressed format. MP3, MPEG video, even JPEG pictures causes Premiere to behave weird and sometimes crash.

If you have an application that can convert them to wav, do that. That is if you can’t find the wav version somewhere else first.

Inactive

Oh yeah, Mac! I guess thats why I forgot. Still, compressed files are not a good choice.

Participant

Guess I never really considered compressed files to be an issue. I’ve used them in Premiere and never had a problem. Next time I’ll make sure I use a wav or aiff file. Are .wav files the windows equivalent of a Mac .aiff ? Is there any benefit over one or the other?

Inactive

Any uncompressed format is fine, as long as your applications supports them. Most editing apps do. It really comes down to personal preference at this point.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap