Issue Syncing audio

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey all,

I recorded someone in my singing a song in my recording studio and then when I mixed down the audio in my Audio Editor software and put it in Vegas along with the video file, they don’t match up.

What can I do to 1)fix this now, and 2) correct for this in the future so it doesn’t happen?

The odd thing is that I’ve done two songs for her and the first one, which is longer and mixed down the same way, fit fine once I lined it up. but the 2nd song, which is shorter, didn’t fit correctly.

Any thoughts?

Participant

Um, my own stupid here. Used the WRONG video file with the RIGHT audio. This does bring up a question though.

What is the best format of audio to use when combining audio up with video content that was recorded from a different source?

Is there any specific trick to use to ensure this happens smoothly?

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

You’ll want to go with an uncompressed format. .WAV works well. When you’re recording audio on a second device, a good habit to get into is to use a clapperboard slate. The idea behind them is at the beginning of the take you have someone say the name of the production followed by the scene and the take, then clap the board. When you start editing, you simply match the audio and the video, and you’ll see in the waveform of the audio track a big spike where the clap was. Line that up with where the clapperboard claps in the visuals and the rest will be aligned with it.

If you don’t have the budget for a clapperboard slate, just write the info on a whiteboard and then have someone clap on camera. You’ll still get the loud clap to help you line things up. Just line the sound up with the visual of the person’s hands coming together.

Hope this helps!

Participant

Thanks, i sorta do that when i’m filiming artists in the studio, I was more wondering if there’s any specific format I should use and it sounds like wav is the way to go. Thanks!

Participant

and…make sure your audio device is set to 48khz. and not 44.1 which is the standard cd rate. Video standard rate is 48 here in USA. If you rip audio from cd make sure to convert to 48khz.

Harry

Participant

48K got it.. what do you guys to for audio during shoots?

Do you record into the camera as well as a seperate device? I dont have xlrs on my cameras, so I was looking at some of the Zoom portable audio recorders with 2 xlrs, but I’m very concerned about preamp noise.

Anyone have experience with these? What do you use? Do they work well in environments where noise can’t be that controlled?

Participant

I use several, I use the camera mic an external digital recorder (set to 48k :0) and a wireless that will transmit directly to the camera for recording or to a PA in the case of an outdoor wedding. I try to keep all the mics seperated to record on their own tracks for mixing in post/editing. Thats where the sony NX5 shines for audio. If you just want to use an external get it close to the sound and make sure the level will not overshoot (digital distortion is nasty and non repairable). I would shy to amid level and boost in post editing. Just use a sound to sync like a click,bang,clap from there they should stay in sync.

Harry

Participant

what external digital recorder do you guys use?

I have an Olympus WS-500M that I can hide in my pocket or elsewhere (out of the view of the camera). It does a fair job and it was cheap compared to the more versatile and probably overall better Zoom mics.

I try to record directly to the camera whenever I can, but when I can’t, this does a good job for me.

Participant

I use a Zoom H4 and a Zoom H4n.  I’ll usually have a stereo shotgun plugged into my camera, then fill up my Zoom inputs (two each) with various wireless and wired mic inputs.  The H4n can also record from its own built-in mics with is a great plus when you only have one shot to get the best audio for a live project.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap