Is this scenario technically possible?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Let’s say I need to do inspections on the East Coast but I am on the West Coast. Is it possible to have somebody with a video camera and cell phone feed real time streaming video (or very close to) that I could observe on a website and talk them through what I want to do/see? If so, what technology would allow that?

Inactive

I think it exists… You know these real time cam that you have on the web. I think it wold be possible, with a laptop and wireless internet. About that, I dunno.

Participant

You could usea web cam connected to a laptopand Skype. Again as The shooter said you would need wireless internet access.

Inactive

What if I need the person to be mobile and walking around and I need to see somewhat decently what is being streamed? Let’s say, for example, that there isa camera attached to head device or shoulder device of the person I am talking to so that where they look, I look. I don’t have a problem with getting wireless access and setting up a dedicated server or web site to do it. I’m just wondering about the technical feasiblility. Would there be delays in sending a streaming video and would that impact the ability to communicate with a cell phone at the same time? I know the military have remote devices that send back projections so I’m sure it is possible I’m just not sure of the mechanics and viability.

Any insight anyone has on the subject is appreciated. Thanks, Ed

Participant

I have a robot with video.

here is what I know, the video is pretty good if you got a fast internet connection, so if your laptop can pick up a wireless signal or has a wireless moden, and broadband, at it’s location, yes it is do able.

my robot capture video through firewire dv or hdv sony camcorders to a mackbook and my broadband wireless network and transmits it through the local network with little lag time. using Ichat or quicktime broadcaster… and that is two way chat with ichat, and one way with quicktime broadcaster.

it boils down to your internet connection speed..

Yes you can with a wireless internet card like an ATT Aircard, Sprint, Verizon or other equivalent card. You’re going to need a service like BroadCam to facilitate the live stream. Now they say the service is free, but you will have to buy the software and pay a monthly fee for tech support. There is streaming software like VLC, but it and most others don’t support a live feed. You’ll have to have a broadband connection speed on your end to be able to see the video properly. You’ll have to do some digging to find a good service that fits your budget and gives good tech support. If anyone knows of a purely software solution please give forth.

Inactive

Hey everyone, thanks for the tips; I’ll follow up on these.

Inactive

One final thought. I recently saw a webceast on Ustream that was being broadcast from an iPhone, of all things. It actually had pretty good quality. If your contractor has an iphone, the ustream app and their site are both free. You wouldn’t have ANY camera control (focus, white balance, zoom – unless he moves the iPhone closer and further by hand), but the picture is acceptable. the only drawback is that the contractor would need to have two phones – one to talk on and one to shoot with. Other than that though, it could work fairly well.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video editing software — 2021

In this article, we’ll go over the criteria you’ll need to consider when choosing the best video editing software for your needs.
homicide-bootstrap