Is this possible?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Binnz7dw
      Participant

Hi everyone! I am trying to start working with HD and was wondering if anyone could tell me if my plan has any flaws? I have a Cannon XH-A1 to record in HD – then capture to my PC (it is a fast enough machine to edit, though barely) via firewire. Edit with Pinnacle Studio 11 – save/write to disc image as a HVDVD_TS – burn to STANDARD or Dual layer DVD (not BR or HD) – play the disc on a Play Station 3 hooked up to a HD TV via HDMI. I am trying to get by for awhile without having to buy a new computer with a BR or HD burning drive. I will have to buy a PS3 and was already going to get a 42" LG HDTV (or something comparable) Was hoping someone could tell me if this would work before i go and buy a PS3 (i dont normally have enough time for playing video games, but instead of buying a HD player for more money I figured that the PS3 would be the way to go. Thanks so much for any help with this!

KevinShaw
      Participant

The PS3 won’t play a disc intended for HD-DVD players, but it can play HD content rendered as a computer file in MPEG2 format with an appropriate file extension. Even better, it can play that directly from an external USB2 hard drive (with FAT32 formatting) or from its own internal hard drive or wireless computer network, so you don’t have to burn any kind of disc to play your edited HD videos. There are some steps to learn to make all this work but it’s not particularly difficult, and at $399 for the new base-model PS3 that’s a good deal for both SD and HD video playback. (The SD upsampling is very good.)

If money is tight try making widescreen SD DVDs at a high bit rate and play those on a good upsampling DVD player via HDMI to your HDTV. This isn’t as good as HD but looks nice compared to most standard SD playback options.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I give customers an apple tv to playback my work on.

Binnz7dw
      Participant

Thank you Kevin! Do you happen to know what file extension you would need to have on the file for the PS3 to read it? Do you think Pinnacle 11 would be able to create / render a file like that?

KevinShaw
      Participant

Thank you Kevin! Do you happen to know what file extension you would need to have on the file for the PS3 to read it? Do you think Pinnacle 11 would be able to create / render a file like that?

The PS3 can play pretty much any standard MPEG2 file, using file extensions like M2P (SD) or M2T (HD). The video also has to be in a folder labeled “video” on a disk or drive with FAT32 formatting. Pinnacle should be able to create such files but I haven’t seen the latest version to confirm what output options it has.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.