Is there a test to see if my framerate is accurate?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Is there a test to see if my framerate is accurate?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I got this little digital video camera the other day and it stated that the video recorder captured 30fps at 640×480, and I think they’re full of it. I can tell that my video gets a little bit choppy at times, but I’m wondering if there is a way/program/test etc. that will tell me how many frames my camera is actually getting.

As a matter of fact, I’d also like to run that test on my DCR-HC32 and my GL1 just for kicks.

Would anyone have any input on this issue?

Oh, and this is my first post so I’m sorry if it is in the wrong section.

Inactive

What kind of camera is it? Most video cameras record 30fps at 720×480 (NTSC). Unless its something like a spy camera or cel phone, why would you doubt its capabilities? Please post more info about the camera (Make, Model, Etc). A link to a site that sells it would be good too.

Participant

There are many camcorders that make the 30 fps at 640×480 claim.

Many of these "cameracorders" have a slow bus between the cache memory to the recording card to allow for VGA/30 fps. If the designers had chosen MPEG-4 instead of Quicktime, there would probably have been no problem in filming in VGA resolution/30 fps until the cows go home.

Inactive

hobbes131,

Making smooth video is difficult even with expensive camcorder, if not held properly. If you’re stabilizing it and your shots still look jumpy, it may be the auto shutter is bumping up the shutter speed. This could cause the choppy effect also.

TheDV Show,

MPEG-4 exists inside of QuickTime movies on many well performing models. Some top performers even use Motion JPEG compression to good effect.

-andrew

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap