Is the VX2100 better to film skateboarding than the canon GL2 ?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Consumer Camcorders Is the VX2100 better to film skateboarding than the canon GL2 ?

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am curious about which camera would be more suitable for filming skateboarding and snowboarding. I am rough on cameras and I want to know which would be the better camera for this type of filming.

Size-wise they both fit the bill. Ruggedness? In your chosen area of video production you will almost HAVE to approach them as disposables, although with some degree of consideration for their well-being, I suspect either one could take a licking and keep on ticking. I know my GL2 has sustained some serious trauma over the years, but continues to serve me well, but then I haven’t taken it to the slopes – snow or concrete.

Inactive

I have been wanting to get the GL2 for a while now, how do you like your’s? How is the video quality as well as the audio? I read about it having a time lapse feature. This would save me alot of editing.. is it easy to use?

It is an easy to use tool, once you familiarize yourself with its adjustments, and the panel of controls available and accessible via the back of the camera, adjacent to the battery attachment area. The push and roll control to scroll through options and adjustments, once you KNOW them, are easy to accomplish and relatively intuitive.

I would not agree that audio is pristine and perfect, but it is not as bad as some have idicated regarding internal camera mechanics noise transfer, audio clarity, etc. It has manual focus and audio adjustments that are functional, and there is an option to acquire an adapter for XLR inputs. I’ve not identified a need to go that direction, but I also religiously use my Zoom H2 digital audio recorders for sound acqusition at most gigs, so…

To be honest, I am not familiar with, nor have I used or read up on or confirmed the availability of time lapse, but I do know I can shoot standard or wide screen and I find that helpful if I know going in I want or prefer one or the other for a particular production.

I have never had an overwhelming lighting situation that has defeated the camera’s ability to give me decent video reproduciotn – even at events such as dance recitals and community plays where dramatic lighting often challenges a camera’s low light abilities. I rarely ever have to use on-camera lighting or enhancement to augment the GL2’s ability to render a decent image.

I have two Canon XL1 cameras and one GL2. If I had known the minor benefit interchangeable lenses was to prove to be, and the significant quality and performance of the GL2, I could have saved a bundle and purchased three of the GL2’s instead. I love my XL1 cameras, but changing lenses has proven a premium I never needed to have spent.

Inactive

thank you for all the input, You can change lenses on the GL2right? I am looking to by a wide angle lens as well. I have a fisheye as of right now but its thread is too small for the GL2

The GL2 is a fixed lens camera. Though I am sure there are a number of screw-on optical elements you could attach to the front, the lens itself is not removable.

Inactive

Ok, my other camera is the same way, i just need to buy a 52mm adapter ring then.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap