Is the Canon HX A1S a bargain?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi. I do a lot of live events (concerts, plays, etc) with available light in HDV, now using a little Sony HVR-A1. I create DVDs not aim to reach a professional level in terms of quality but good enough to be enjoy at home.

The A1 is great with good light, but with low light noise it very bad. Ocassionally I rent the famous Sony Z1 and I really love it (of course, after using the Sony A1 the Z1 is a great step forward). Although people say that it not good in low light, for be is does a decent job (could be better of course). The only problem I see with the Z1 is that iris increase quite dramatically when zoomed, which is bad as all my footage requiere being almost fully zoomed.

Looking for a possible upgrade, the natural one is the new Sony Z5, which is about $3800. But I have seen the Canon XH A1s for $1000 less!

The XH A1s and the Z5 seems almost identical. Some people critict the Canon’s LCD and probably a little less sensitivity to light than the Z5, but this is worth $1000?

Probably the main drawback for me with the Canon is that where I live, almost all equipment is Sony, so maybe pairing the Canon with rented Sonys willl be problematic.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap