Is the Canon HX A1S a bargain?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Pablo
      Participant

Hi. I do a lot of live events (concerts, plays, etc) with available light in HDV, now using a little Sony HVR-A1. I create DVDs not aim to reach a professional level in terms of quality but good enough to be enjoy at home.

The A1 is great with good light, but with low light noise it very bad. Ocassionally I rent the famous Sony Z1 and I really love it (of course, after using the Sony A1 the Z1 is a great step forward). Although people say that it not good in low light, for be is does a decent job (could be better of course). The only problem I see with the Z1 is that iris increase quite dramatically when zoomed, which is bad as all my footage requiere being almost fully zoomed.

Looking for a possible upgrade, the natural one is the new Sony Z5, which is about $3800. But I have seen the Canon XH A1s for $1000 less!

The XH A1s and the Z5 seems almost identical. Some people critict the Canon’s LCD and probably a little less sensitivity to light than the Z5, but this is worth $1000?

Probably the main drawback for me with the Canon is that where I live, almost all equipment is Sony, so maybe pairing the Canon with rented Sonys willl be problematic.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN