Introducing myself, and questions in videography.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Introducing myself, and questions in videography.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello,

I am venturing into professional videography.
      My background is in Computer Animation, Compositing, MatchMoving, Photography, Dvd Authoring, and Webbuilding.
      I have been through Visual Arts as well as Computer Animation at VFS, and have worked in Visual effects on movies.

Getting a little older now, and looking to move back to where I am originally from, I decided to go into Videography. I love to videotape, edit, etc, and incorporate the many different forms of media that I am familiar with.

I have several questions. I am looking at cameras, and have come down to these two.
      AJ-HPX2000
      AG-HVX200
      I also am considering a sony HD camera that has a hard drive.

Is there anyone here familiar with these cameras and give me an insight into the price difference in these cameras and the functions that would make the higher end model better.

The majority of what I would be doing to start off, would probably be indoor, wedding taping and events.

The computer I am looking into is a:
      3dboxx 8300 series

I mainly want the computing power for other applications that I will be running including compositing and animation.

Audio is where I am a little weaker. I can get around basic audio editing, however on location recording is something that is new to me. (apart from relying from on camera sound) I have read through the Videomaker audio section but I still have questions.) Regarding the camera, which has probably several channel input, how does that hook up with the mic. In the case of a wedding, the microphone would be significantly far away, I was hoping to figure out a way to put quality mics in 4 – 5 areas of the church or wedding location to capture for 5 channel surround sound. Also to have the ability to cut between mics that have better sound capturing for the important moments. Wireless lapel mics seem common, but I am not that sure how that would work out for a wedding where the bride wearing white probably wouldn’t want a nice black mic sticking off her 3k dress.

Also what sort of reciever deals with remote mics? I am curioius about people with experience, what sort of things do people at weddings generally find acceptable. Lighting can be an issue indoor, I am assuming though at a wedding this is an inconvenience that can’t really be dealt with.

How much of the wedding is usually captured? I mean in addition to the ceremony. Do you do taping on days before / after? The photographer is usually the one who gets time with them between the wedding and the reception, so I can see issues that might arise if you want to tape outside of the ceremony during the wedding day.

Here is a subjective question: How much do you charge for this? I have seen it suggested you break it down in to how many hours spent working / how much you would charge per hour. But what is the typical charge someone would base it on hourly for a higher quality DVD / Blu-ray / HD disk.

Media quality, and compaitibility. My question is one of opinion I suppose. I have long trusted Verbatim, however since my experience is limited to the few DVD players I have had to deal with, what are the best disks for compatibility / longevity.

Taping:
      I hope to have more than one person taping during the events, With Videographers and Photographers swarming around the wedding scene, how do you organise where to be so you aren’t noticable, and don’t get in each others way. Has anyone tried to mount a camera at a higher vantage point?

Clients:
      To start, I have to operate out of home, We aren’t fixed in one location at the moment, we are moving to another city next year, however I would like to get started. How do you handle meeting clients in this situation. I have thought that meeting for a coffee (especially if you buy the coffee), along with your company demoreel and laptop might suffice, but is there better suggestions out there?

I think that’s it for now, but I probably have more questions. (opinions on microphones, recievers hookups and setups would be welcome πŸ™‚ )

Thanks!

Participant

Welcome to the forum. Most of your questions have been answered on this forum. All you need is to search.

I don’t remember the relationship between the photographer and the videographer being covered in details. So I may add few words.

You have to build working relationship from the very beginning. Some photographers are not very cooperative, but for the most part it’s OK. After some time you end up working with the same people season after season unless you look for out of town weddings.

Ask them to tell you if you are in their shot, so you’d move. And make sure they realize you expect the same when they step into your shot. Some photographers seem to be real ass##les. Make the point that you have the same right to cover the wedding as they do. Photographer’s contract is not superior to yours unless you are hired by photo studio. In many cases it’s just easier to let them do their work and just follow the ball or play around their schedules.

And last but not least. Make friends with photographers. They are on the top of the bride’s list, and we are on the bottom. You may get more jobs from their references than the other way around.

Inactive

Thanks for the comments :). I have done about 7 hours of searching for these answers, however there are so MANY answers, it’s hard sometimes to get the answers you are looking for ;). But yes, I will keep searching.

Inactive

perrin26 Wrote:

I am looking at cameras, and have come down to these two.
      AJ-HPX2000
      AG-HVX200
      I also am considering a sony HD camera that has a hard drive.

I’m not sure about the current market, but when I last looked at P2, it seemed that the media was very expensive and that to get a whole hour on, you need a few cards. This may have changed, and you can probably just attach a HDD to the P2 cameras, but its something to look further into.

3dboxx 8300 series

The series won’t give much information, but you will want a lot of disk space to edit with

I mainly want the computing power for other applications that I will be running including compositing and animation.

Fair enough. Make sure you have enough memory to match too, the high processing power won’t do much good if you don’t have enough memory to push data to the processor fast enough.

Audio is where I am a little weaker. I can get around basic audio editing, however on location recording is something that is new to me. (apart from relying from on camera sound) Regarding the camera, which has probably several channel input, how does that hook up with the mic. In the case of a wedding, the microphone would be significantly far away, I was hoping to figure out a way to put quality mics in 4 – 5 areas of the church or wedding location to capture for 5 channel surround sound. Also to have the ability to cut between mics that have better sound capturing for the important moments. Wireless lapel mics seem common, but I am not that sure how that would work out for a wedding where the bride wearing white probably wouldn’t want a nice black mic sticking off her 3k dress.

Not sure about the particulars of wedding sound, but I would probably set up two shotguns pointing at the bride and groom from far corners, at about 60-degrees to each other [30 degrees off the center aisle], a hidden mic somewhere near them, a mic on the preacher/officiator. From what I have read, usually people put a small recorder into the groom’s pocket for backup sound. I would record all sound to separate channels (either on separate devices or the same device, doesn’t matter, you’re going to recut it all later, the only thing that happens with separate devices is you have to resync the sound).

Also what sort of reciever deals with remote mics? I am curioius about people with experience, what sort of things do people at weddings generally find acceptable. Lighting can be an issue indoor, I am assuming though at a wedding this is an inconvenience that can’t really be dealt with.

From what I’ve read and heard, lighting will probably be your biggest issue. Get lenses that can be wide open and get a good picture, and check that your camera has sensitive (low-lux) CCDs. For receiving wireless mics, there are a number of different systems that generally work, but for something like a wedding, I’d hardwire a recorder to everything (and if needed, send the loopout of the recorder over wireless to make your life easier), that way if the wireless dies or cuts out or …, you’re still good.

How much of the wedding is usually captured? I mean in addition to the ceremony. Do you do taping on days before / after? The photographer is usually the one who gets time with them between the wedding and the reception, so I can see issues that might arise if you want to tape outside of the ceremony during the wedding day.

I would say that is between you and the people paying you. Probably have a camera ready to get them making their grand entrance if they do, have a camera ready outside for the exit, and possibly get footage of the family preparing yourself or from the family, as well as archival footage of the two. Again, this is between you and the people paying you, I have never actually shot a wedding, but I have dubbed quite a few and each one is different, some only have the ceremony proper, some are more of a montage, some have a historical montage, the ceremony, then a montage of the reception, some have a musical montage up until the ‘I do’s and then go to realtime until the car entrance, then a musical montage to the reception and a montage of the reception.

Here is a subjective question: How much do you charge for this? I have seen it suggested you break it down in to how many hours spent working / how much you would charge per hour. But what is the typical charge someone would base it on hourly for a higher quality DVD / Blu-ray / HD disk.

Look at the market around you, see what others are charging, make your prices competitive, or if you think you can really market yourself being better, don’t. It’s all up to you. You could negotiate on each job. Also, remember, no matter how perfect your video is, you will probably heed complaints from those paying you; this is why many professionals swear off weddings; I transcoded a wedding tape from PAL-B/G to NTSC Color for someone once, she came back asking where some relative was, I told her that I didn’t know, she insisted that I must have done something, so I let her watch the entire source tape on our multisystem equipment.

Media quality, and compaitibility. My question is one of opinion I suppose. I have long trusted Verbatim, however since my experience is limited to the few DVD players I have had to deal with, what are the best disks for compatibility / longevity.

In my experience, burnable discs are not made to last. Keep a master on tape.

I hope to have more than one person taping during the events, With Videographers and Photographers swarming around the wedding scene, how do you organise where to be so you aren’t noticable, and don’t get in each others way. Has anyone tried to mount a camera at a higher vantage point?

Scout your location, sketch it out, maybe go to the rehearsal so that you know exactly what is going on. Preproduction is everything.

To start, I have to operate out of home, We aren’t fixed in one location at the moment, we are moving to another city next year, however I would like to get started. How do you handle meeting clients in this situation. I have thought that meeting for a coffee (especially if you buy the coffee), along with your company demoreel and laptop might suffice, but is there better suggestions out there?

You could make a fancy meeting area in your home for this purpose, be very business like.

Inactive

Thanks, :). I appreciate the advice.

I was thinking about if it is possible to direct connect a camera to an external hard drive, or if you have to have a laptop.
      I will take a look at shotgun mics.

When it comes to weddings, I don’t mind so much taping weddings, however if there were a more agreeable venue available for me to tape and survive off of, I would be very interested in hearing ;). My expertise is going to be in the taping editing, recording to dvd and making interactive menu’s. (possibly incorporating 3D objects into live footage.)
      So I plan to stay quite flexible.

Unfortunately, at least for the next 6 months or so (basically this wedding season), I won’t have a real home address. I rent a basement suite, and making this small area look professional would challange even the most ardent interior decorators patience. We hope to build a new place where we will be moving to. It sounds like I can expect to do at least a couple of free weddings. I have done editing, compositing and intricate DVD menu structuring. I just haven’t been able to be the one taping. After editing several homemade DV films into wedding DVD’s, I quickly realized that there were many things that I would do differently to get better results.

Thanks again for the suggestionsl

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap