Interference with Azden Lav Mic, Need Help?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Interference with Azden Lav Mic, Need Help?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I videotape weddings and have just recently started using the Azden Wireless Lav Mic. I have a lot to learn when it comes to audio. Its the one area that my videos are weak. The last wedding I videotaped the officiant wore a mic, and I place a mic on the groom. The audio cracks, hisses, and other horrible sounds. Is it a problem with my mic, mic placement, or interference with the officiants mic? Also, I would appreciate and websites that could give me some info on audio. Thanks!

Participant

Which Azden mic system did you get?
      Mine work unbelievably well.
      Try placing the grooms mic at the bottom of his lapel, just above the button, and to the outside, so that the mic will not rub on the other lapel. I’ve had great luck with this location.

I have this system:

AZD200ULT Dual 63-Channel On-Camera UHF Wireless Bodypack System
      Dual 63-Channel On-Camera UHF Wireless Bodypack System The 200ULT is a complete dual-channel wireless system that consists of the 200UPR receiver and two 10BT transmitters.

The new 200UPR receiver allows the use of two wireless transmitters at the same time. It features twin-antennas, a 3.5mm -64dbB 2-channel mic level output jack, two recessed On/Off switchs, two Power On/ Signal Received LED and 2 sets of channel selectors to set the desired frequency for each receiver. Using crystal-control and PLL synthesis the 200UPR operates for better than 8 hours on 6 "AA" batteries. The receiver comes with a "hot-shoe" mount, a 3.5mm to 3.5mm output cable and a 3.5mm to twin XLR cable.

Also included are two 10BT body-pack transmitters supplied with Azden EX-503 omni-directional lapel microphones and metal belt-clips. In addition to the 3.5mm mic input jack the transmitter has a Power On switch with an associated LED a separate Standby switch for audio muting and a set of channel selector switches. The 10BT runs better than 8 hours on a single 9V battery.

AZD200ULT $679.95

Participant

I feel like to only way to be sure is to go to wedding rehersals, and I can’t do that. Weddings are crazy to videotape, they go so fast. It makes me nervous knowing that anything can go wrong. There’s no way for me to know ahead of time if the 2 mics will have interference. Once the ceremonys in progress I can’t change channels, the groom is already set on the specific channel. I will try placing the mic on the outside of the lapel, it very well could have been some of the problem. Thank you for the advice.

Participant

Unfortunatly, I don’t have the finances to afford that kind of equipment. Also, brides in my area aren’t willing to spend that kind of money on their video. It sounds like your business is amazing. Mine is still growing. Thanks for the advice.

Participant

RB I also own the AZD200ULT Dual 63-Channel On-Camera UHF Wireless Bodypack System. I no longer use both mics. I have found a huge problem with 2 seperate audio tracks (groom & minister) put together as one track when you download. In the past I have had the minister telling a story about the bride and groom. In the background you can hear the groom and bride whispering. Your recording 2 mics on one track. In post it’s very difficult to pick the audio apart if it’s layed in one track(also very time consuming). I now only run 1 mic and use 2 digital recorders. Like compusolver said about testing for interferences. I set up both wirless mics on 2 different channels, have my helper walk all over the area talking to me as I monitor sound for drop outs and interference. I then make the best choice for which mic / channel to use. I still have to learn how to use my digital recorders better becuase of the larger area they pick up sound.

Participant

Digital Video Wrote:

RB I also own the AZD200ULT Dual 63-Channel On-Camera UHF Wireless Bodypack System. I no longer use both mics. I have found a huge problem with 2 seperate audio tracks (groom & minister) put together as one track when you download. In the past I have had the minister telling a story about the bride and groom. In the background you can hear the groom and bride whispering. Your recording 2 mics on one track. In post it’s very difficult to pick the audio apart if it’s layed in one track(also very time consuming). I now only run 1 mic and use 2 digital recorders. Like compusolver said about testing for interferences. I set up both wirless mics on 2 different channels, have my helper walk all over the area talking to me as I monitor sound for drop outs and interference. I then make the best choice for which mic / channel to use. I still have to learn how to use my digital recorders better becuase of the larger area they pick up sound.

I have a Sony PD170, and it lets you separate the two mics. One on the left and one on the right channel. If you plug them in right and the persons stand correctly, it actually works really good. As for an eco sound, I don’t get one with this configuration. My problem is when someone steps up to a house mic and starts to read from the Bible or gives a speach. I haven’t figured out how to capture that quite the way I’d like. My second camera at the rear center usually picks up a good sterio sound of the music, but for some reason, doesn’t pick up the vocals well. I really need a portable iRiver or something, but I can’t find a good one. I’ve done a ton of shopping around hear and no one carries a sterio recorder with mic input.
      Any suggestions of a current model that I could buy off line, would be appreciated.

Participant

The problem with the mic set-up is not how well it picks up sound but how it imports audio into post. Your still getting 2 audio mic tracks layed into 1 audio timeline. I just don’t like the idea of 2 tracks layed into 1 timeline. In post I have a audio plug-in that changes mono to stereo sound.
      For recommendations for digital recorders I second compusolver, but if cost is what your looking at look into the Olympus WS200 Digital Voice Recorder. With lapel mic it will run you around 100$ from b&hphoto.com
      I read another post of another videographer that uses a T-30 i-river mp3 player and had no problems with it.
      Good luck

Participant

I feel real dumb right now becuase I just opened up my audio tools and I saw a tool that adjusts sound levels in mono.
      Sorry for the stupid responces I’ll put my foot in my mouth for a while.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap