Inexpensive Character Generator?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

My high school video studio currently has a Videonics Titlemaker 3000, which is what, about 10 years old now?

I’ve looked and looked but I can’t seem to find any form of CG that would work as a replacement/upgrade. I’d like to keep the cost around 1000 – 1500. Is there no kind of PCI card made that would slide into a PC and let me key titles/graphics overtop of live video, run in through S-Video? I’d like my students to have access to more fonts/graphic capabilities than the Videonics machine offers, and it seems like a no-brainer with technology as cheap as it is today.

This would be used in a multi-camera/switcher studio situation, so post software won’t cut it.

Any advice? Thanks!

Participant

Don’t know if your still looking or already know of this one. It’s a software based CG/Titler for Live Production for $795.

http://www.caymangraphics.com/PCG_Live.html

Participant

Hi,

Well, here’s a cheap solution, that might possibly work.
      Most video switchers have a chroma key effect, so, in theory:

On a computer, create a title with a solid background color. Using an S-Video out connection from your computer hook it up to your video switch, then display the title on your computer (and the S-video).

From there, you should be able to key out the background and have your title.

Now, theoretically, this would work, but I’m sure many production problems will happen, and I wouldn’t really recommend it
      πŸ˜‰

As with compusolver, I only have basic experience with live broadcasting. (It was at my middle school.)

Also, can I ask you a question?
      How do you broadcast your video throughout the whole school?

Inactive

quartz composer on the mac

Participant

Well, we have an in-house head-in unit used to run cable to all our classrooms. We used a channel "eraser" to get rid of one of the cable channels and then a modulator to replace it with our own AV feed.

You guys have some good ideas, but it just seems like there should be a cheap PC CG – if not, someone should really invent one!!!!

Participant

these guys from http://www.magicsoft.tv are really good.
      they have great help material too. you can learn a lot from their approach.

Participant

Titledeko Pro by pinnacle is a good program that costs $200. We used at my broadcast school and loaded in into a relatively cheap computer. I would suggest implementing this program and using the rest of your budget on hardware and switcher installation assistance.(if needed)

*note – this progam can make great graphics and is a good tool for teaching, but it has it’s limits to the quality of graphics. (Eg. no 3D motion)

Participant

My old grade school has the exact same CG, so I feel for you. It was my job to operate it for broadcasts, and it wasn’t too flashy. If I was you, I would check up eBay for a replacement. I have no experience with using a computer for live broadcasts, so I wouldn’t know if anything out there would work for you. You might be able to see if the local news station has an old titler you could use.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap