Inexpensive Character Generator?

Viewing 7 reply threads
    Participant

My high school video studio currently has a Videonics Titlemaker 3000, which is what, about 10 years old now?

I’ve looked and looked but I can’t seem to find any form of CG that would work as a replacement/upgrade. I’d like to keep the cost around 1000 – 1500. Is there no kind of PCI card made that would slide into a PC and let me key titles/graphics overtop of live video, run in through S-Video? I’d like my students to have access to more fonts/graphic capabilities than the Videonics machine offers, and it seems like a no-brainer with technology as cheap as it is today.

This would be used in a multi-camera/switcher studio situation, so post software won’t cut it.

Any advice? Thanks!

Participant

Hi,

Well, here’s a cheap solution, that might possibly work.
    Most video switchers have a chroma key effect, so, in theory:

On a computer, create a title with a solid background color. Using an S-Video out connection from your computer hook it up to your video switch, then display the title on your computer (and the S-video).

From there, you should be able to key out the background and have your title.

Now, theoretically, this would work, but I’m sure many production problems will happen, and I wouldn’t really recommend it
    😉

As with compusolver, I only have basic experience with live broadcasting. (It was at my middle school.)

Also, can I ask you a question?
    How do you broadcast your video throughout the whole school?

Inactive

quartz composer on the mac

Participant

Well, we have an in-house head-in unit used to run cable to all our classrooms. We used a channel "eraser" to get rid of one of the cable channels and then a modulator to replace it with our own AV feed.

You guys have some good ideas, but it just seems like there should be a cheap PC CG – if not, someone should really invent one!!!!

Participant

these guys from http://www.magicsoft.tv are really good.
    they have great help material too. you can learn a lot from their approach.

Participant

Titledeko Pro by pinnacle is a good program that costs $200. We used at my broadcast school and loaded in into a relatively cheap computer. I would suggest implementing this program and using the rest of your budget on hardware and switcher installation assistance.(if needed)

*note – this progam can make great graphics and is a good tool for teaching, but it has it’s limits to the quality of graphics. (Eg. no 3D motion)

Participant

My old grade school has the exact same CG, so I feel for you. It was my job to operate it for broadcasts, and it wasn’t too flashy. If I was you, I would check up eBay for a replacement. I have no experience with using a computer for live broadcasts, so I wouldn’t know if anything out there would work for you. You might be able to see if the local news station has an old titler you could use.

• Viewing 7 reply threads

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
    homicide-bootstrap