Indoor lights and HUGE windows!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

OK you wedding guys!

Im curious as to what you guys do when you have weaker in-house incandescent lighting along with HUGE windows throwing huge amounts of light in during a bright overcast day? Needless to say this was a pretty good size church.

Im finishing up a wedding that has taken me twice as long as normal because I have been trying to minimize the color differences of the video in post. In other words I got my ass kicked on this one.

Do you guys just edit the way it is and Im too anal or is there some secret that I dont know of? Filming the wedding party looked good when they were coming down the isle but as soon as they split off to sit at their seat in the pew next to the windows everyone starts developing the dreaded blue hue. Setting the white balance almost seems useless in this situation. The balcony camera looked great because all of the windows were out of play. The side cameras took a beating with having to deal with indoor and outdoor lighting in the same frame shot. I know camera positions help but in this case there was no way of avoiding the big windows. Would you leave the cameras on AUTO balance?

Humm Next time I wonder if the minister will let me hang beach towels over the windows like in the old college days? X-D

Just curious on how you guys address this.

RAM

Inactive

OK Hank… I guess I should have explained my problem a little better. What you said makes total sense and for the most part we do something very similar during the actual ceremony.

The problem I’m talking about comes in when the group comes down the isle and then exists after the ceremony.

How do you pan with the couples and avoid windows? That’s where I’m having the problem.

Sorry about not making myself clear the first time…. it’s MONDAY!

RAM

Inactive

BINGO!

You mentioned that you set up more diagonally on entrance and exit. I think that makes way more since in this situation. Normally I have one camera front left and the other mid right at the start and finish and what we do is one camera follows the couple half way down and then returns to the back door while the other camera picks them up at the halfway point and follows them to the front and vise versa. When you edit it all up it looks very nice for you get a camera hand off kind of effect. That only works with churches that are well lit and dont have dominate windows Ive discovered. While I like doing that, I think Im going to have to re-think this the next time I have that situation. Going your way would undoubtedly take these windows out of play more thus preventing the headache I currently have.

BTW: Cutting the clips is how I adjust the color. I think it would be impossible or at least twice as difficult to do it in any other way. The classic was after the ceremony, my partner set up his camera just outside the sanctuary pointing down the main isle to catch everyone parading out towards him. The brides dress was your basic white but as she got closer to the back door you could see it start to turn blue. By time she was in the outer foyer of which there was nothing but outside light blasting through the windows, her dress looked completely blue. What I did was razor cut at a point just before the color started to change and then corrected the color on the later clip. Then to help mask the transformation, I just used a simple dissolve transition between the two clips and it comes out looking pretty good.

Thanks for the tip! My only regret is that I didnt know this about 3 weeks ago. Live and learn I guess!

RAM

ps: Not bad for a Monday! πŸ˜‰

Participant

If you want to get a little more into it, you can adjust the white balance in post and have it change with the movement of the shot. You can do it with keyframes in Premiere (or after effects more easily if you know how).

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap