In Focus

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

HI Guys,

as i get more into Videography, i find that i am no longer watching TV, but instead watching how they do certain things, such as cuts, camera angles ect.

I have noticed that they seem to be able to follow a person at quite high speed with lots of focal length changes, but stay in pin sharp focus at all times.

I watched a presenter run out of a house, with the camerman running backwards, run around a car, so the cam man was then behind him, and get intot he car and shut the door. The last shot was through the window, but there did not seem to be a single frame out of focus.

How is this done?

Is it that the Auto focus on really expensive cams is that fast that they can do this, as i cant believe that it can be someone constantly altering the focus by hand.

Its like when they have two charactors in a shot, one behind the other and the farthest one is out of focus, but then they quickly switch focus.

Cheers,

Jay

Cheers,

Jay

Participant

Wow hank! Thats a great idea! I think I will try that!

Inactive

Ey up Compu,

that is a good idea, although i think i have taken it slightly wrong.

I woul use two bands and two matchsticks.

I would put one on the each side of the barrel, so they com together at the point of focus (to provide that definate stop). You would start at the first focus point which wouldn’t need marking.

If you did it that way, you would not need to judge when the match was at the top.

But, it is a great idea. I have no need for the effect, i just simply wondered how they did it.

So what about the constant or very fast focus then?

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

Ey up mate,

if that is what they do then i am really impressed. The one paricular scene i described was fast and i am sure the distance was not kept static.

It was however a bright day, so they could have used the depth of field, but is it really that powerfull a tool?

I have a Canon XL1s, how would you rate the focus on this Model of Cam, or if you dont know this model, then that sort of Level of Cam

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

Are Right,

thats interesting to know.

Should i have the camera regularly serviced, and if so, what should be done in the service and will this stop things going wrong with it?

Jay

Inactive

Ha ha,

cheers mate, thats good news.

Is there anything i can do to help prolong its life?

As we are on the subject of prolonging its life, i have posted this on the forum, but as yet got no answers.

Is there a device that i can use to transfer my footage (Mini DV) to my PC, so that i dont wear the Cam / Heads out? I know you can get little Tape Rewinders, but what a simple player to transfer to PC?

Cheers,

Jay

Inactive

Ey up mate,

cheers for your replies, they have been a great help.

I think the bloke I bought the camera off has taken your advice, and i think i must be the one that is feeling lucky. Lol.

I cant believe thats all the Cam would last, the post you sent me to said about 500 tapes with 45mins on each. I cant really comprehend what that is in reality, but it doesn’t sound a lot.

I also use a head cleaner every time i use it.

I will stop doing this now and will see if using Canon (not that i have seen them) tapes makes any difference.

cheers again,

Jay

Inactive

Ey up mate,

thats great advice, thanks, i had not thought of that, but it makes perfect sense. I will find one brand and stick with it (think all mine are Panasonic), and will stop using the cleaner as often.

Thanks for the advice, its really appreciated as my head is in bits at the moment as i am trying to learn how to use the camera, shoot right, edit in Premier and Make DVD’s in encore,without any prior experience with any of it, so you can imagine your advice is invaluable.

Thanks again,

Jay

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap