Improving video that’s too dark

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I did a wedding recently and the ceremony took place in front of large windows overlooking the sea. While this sounds great, unfortunately this caused my video to be dark. At least as far as the subjects are concerned. Does anyone have an idea of how to improve the quality of the video through editing software. I had closed the iris down during the videotaping to reduce the backlight, but it results in a picture that isn’t sharp. Any suggestions??

Inactive

compusolver:

– this time in a chapel where there are no bright windows behind them!

๐Ÿ˜ฎ Hear… Hear!

Wouldn’t it be nice for a change if us videoites could dictate the show and control the lighting aspect of a wedding! Also… if it was up to me I would make everyone get married at night so that windows are not an issue. 8)

Unfortunately VicS, the very wise compusolver is correct. I too just finished a battle with windows on a shoot. To be honest with you, I’m tired of spending hours after the fact in post correcting this. As the old saying goes, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Being an event style videographer, you pretty much just video things as they happen with whatever surroundings you’re dealt with. You can’t control the surroundings but you can control how you point your camera in these surroundings. That was just recently pointed out to me… dummy me! Basically that’s the trick when it’s all said and done. With your situation, you would have probably been better off with cameras on more of an angle to avoid the window somewhat and maybe have another camera set up as you had it but have the f-stop turned up so you could see the couple and just burnout the background. That shot would be a nice special effect view that you could edit with in your final show.

I know in Premiere Pro, there is a nice "Color Corrector" filter that can adjust "Highlights", Mid-tones" and Shadows". Hopefully what you’re working with will have something similar. Set it so that you are just addressing the "Shadows" and see if you can increase the brightness and contrast levels. You should be able to get it a little better than it is now. You’ll just have to watch to make sure it doesn’t start to look to grainy.

Good luck!

RAM

Inactive

There is a trick but results will vary. If your using Premiere, duplicate the clip to be fixed into the next track up. Set that clips transparency setting to screen. If the result is too much, use the transparency rubberband to mix the 2 track to the desired amount.

Keep in mind this will wash out the background but you should be able to see the subjects. If your really good, you can also make a track matte from the result which would allow you to brighten the subjects but keep the original background from getting washed out. Unfortunately, its kinda hard to explain but it involves using the difference key with the mask only box checked.

Participant

Or how about all weddings must be done in front of a well lit green screen!

That’ll give us all the flexibility in the world!

just kidding…

Participant

Thanks everyone.

I use Pinnacle Studio Plus. I can lighten and adjust contrast as well as saturation, but it only helps somewhat.

I was considering purchasing a new NLE since I find this software to be rather limiting, although pretty good for learning to use this type of software. Maybe now is a good time to purchase it.

Thanks again,

Inactive

jetson said:

Or how about all weddings must be done in front of a well lit green screen!

That’ll give us all the flexibility in the world!

just kidding…

GREAT IDEA!

Think about it. The bride and groom can then decide where they got married. Rome, Paris, a beach in Jamacia, the moon… ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

That would be interesting.

RAM

• Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap