Importing MPEG video – no sound

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have an MPEG video that I created from some Christmas footage from last year. It opens up fine in Quicktime, and the sound works, but when I try to import it into FCP, there is only video, no sound. Is there anything I can do to get the sound to work in Final Cut?

Inactive

What is the file extension on the MPEG file? Is it .mpg, .mpeg, .m2v, etc.?

Sometimes certain MPEG video files have .wav files with it that you need to import also. This .wav file is the audio.

Participant

The extension is .mpg. As far as I can tell, there is no wav file associated with it. The sound and video is all in the one file. I tried using quicktime to just export the sound, but it won’t do it.

I tried exporting it as an MPEG-4 just to see what would happen. I clicked on the options button and went to the audio tab and it say’s there’s no audio track in source movie, yet I hear sound when I play it back in Quicktime. I’m just not sure what to do.

Participant

You might try converting the mpeg to an avi file and see if that helps. A quick search on “mpeg to avi” yielded a bunch of results.

You might also try using Audacity — A freeware app that will record audio from any source on the computer – at the least you could get an audio file to sync to the video.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Participant

Well, I got it to work. I went back to my computer and imported the file into Premiere Pro. The weird thing is that when I imported it there, it only came up with the audio file, no video, go fig. So I just exported that to a wav file. Thanks for the help.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap