Importing 1920 x 1080 / 60i AVCHD in to FCP 7

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Importing 1920 x 1080 / 60i AVCHD in to FCP 7

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Finally after weeks of trying to figure this out I have come across an article that explains how to import those pesky 1920 x 1080 / 60i AVCHD in to FCP 7.

I have summarized this portion of the article below.
      http://www.american.edu/soc/resources/upload/White-Paper-Editing-AVCHD-with-FCP7-2.pdf

I recently bought a Sony brand point and shoot camera that also shoots 1920×1080 / 60i AVCHD. The file format isMTS(Sony Cybershot WX9).

The problem is that the only way to view the files is to use theVLCplayer.

There is a free program in the MAC App store called Smart Converterthat converts the file extension so that Quicktime can play it, but it does not convert the actual footage. So you end up right back where you were before. A non-editable file format.

Non-Editable. Listen to me going on.Heck!That’s an understatement. I couldn’t even import the file into Final Cut Pro. It kept giving me an error. Then when I tried to import the .mts file into Compressor, it didn’t do anything. It didn’t even recognize it.

So without further adieu…
      Here is how to edit those pesky 1920 x 1080 / 60i AVCHD in FCP 7.

Step 1: Insert the memory card from your AVCHD camera or connect the camera per the manufacturers recommendations so that the memory card is recognized as a hard drive.

Step 2: Open Final Cut Pro

Step 3: Click on — File > Log and Transfer
      Your AVCHD files will appear on the left side of the screen.

Step 4: When the window opens, press the tool gear (to the right under the wordTransfer) on the top right of the bin pane and select

Step 5: Click on AVCHD to set the codec toProRes (LT)and then clickOK.

Step 6: Now, single click on any clip to open it in the browser window to the right.
      Here, you can rename the clip and mark rough in out points for the clip.

Step 6: When you are ready to transcode the clip, click the button under the preview window named Add Clip to Queue.

This will begin the transcoding of your AVCHD clip into the Apple ProRes preference you established earlier for easy editing. You can watch the progress bar to see the speed of the transcoding. The actual speed of the encoding will be dependent on the speed of your Mac and the length and complexity of your footage. When the transcoding is finished, your clips will appear in your bin.

Note:Log and Transfer is a background process so you can start editing while you continue to log and transfer. From this point on, you will edit as you normally edit in Final Cut Pro.

Inactive

Okay, I have an Experience addition to this post.

Make sure that you keep the file structure from your memory card.

More importantly, You need to keep the “PRIVATE” folder in the AVCHD file structure, in tact. The file structure is detailed below. If any one of these items are missing, it will not recognize the videos.

Private > AVCHD > BDMV > CLIPINF
      Private > AVCHD > BDMV > PLAYLIST
      Private > AVCHD > BDMV > STREAM
      Private > AVCHD > BDMV > INDEX.BDM
      Private > AVCHD > BDMV > MOVIEOBJ.BDM

You can download just the “PRIVATE” folder to your hard drive, then search for the the media once you are in FCP.

I am looking to convert .mts files to use in FCP7, I need to keep the quality at 1920×1080. If I use mpeg streamclip I can up-res it, but I do not want to do that. And I can’t go to 720, I need to keep it at the 1920×1080.

I can’t seem to find any information on how to convert .mts files for Final Cut.

-Mark

Participant

transcode MTS files into FCP, then suggest you this one I found in apple store. MTS/M2TS Converter from pav. I like the preset of it for FCP ….and cheap.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap