image stabilizer

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I currently do alot of shooting at car shows and the majority of the shooting i do is handheld. I usually use a Sony pd-170 that i take out from my school, but lately have been considerig purchasing a camcorder of my own.
      I was wondering if there is any difference in the optical image stabilizers on different model cameras, in reference to how well they work, and if so which one is the best ( what camera would be best suited for hand held work)? I was considering a sony vx2100 or canon gl-2 because they are more in my price range, but I am open to any other suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Nolo,

On the topic of image stabilization, optical image stabilization is generally considered superior over electronic stabilization in terms of image quality. Which, might be (as a shooter) something of more importance then the steadiness of your shot, especially considering that you can practice or use a steadicam (or other similiar devices) to decrease the shake and jitter while you’re shooting.

If you’re doing a lot (and I mean a lot) of handheld work it maybe worth more to you to find a stabilizer that will meet your needs and fit your style of work than to max out our budget on a camcorder. You’ll definitely want to find a good match between the quality of your camcorder and the quality of your support for it. Here’s some stabilizers worth considering (this is in no way a complete list):
      +Monopods (inexpensive and highly mobile, also can double for poorman’s steadicam. I’d highly recommend one.)
      +Bogen’s Fig Rig is an interesting solution. I’ve never used one. Anybody?
      +Steadicam makes some inexpensive "sleds"

Anyone else using a stabilization device that’s inexpensive and for that handheld look? There’s also a lot of DIY stuff out there that probably won’t cost you more than $40. But there’s something about shooting with a modified broom stick that doesn’t attract the bikini babes or hot rod studs you might find at a car show.

Participant

thank you for your reply.

i didn’t really give to much thought into a device such as a steadicam until you mentioned it. the only thing is that they are expensive and most of the DIY stuff doesn’t look to impressive, at least the stuff i saw, but maybe i shouldn’t be so picky considering that route will cost me all of $40. i am all for building something my self and saving some cash, so if any one knows of a good DIY article for one of these rigs please let me know.

Back on the topic of cameras. is one specific camera any better for this type of shooting than another? i have seen some xl-1 cameras for around the same if not less than a new vx2100, would that be a better camcorder for what i am trying to do?

some people may say just keep shooting with the stuff i can get from school, but there are some drawbacks to using my schools equiptment. first off, it is a hassle reserving and taking out cameras from school. also anyone at my school can get their hands on that stuff, and the people who work in the cage dont always check the equiptment when it is returned. this resaults in checking out broken tripods, or ones mising the release plate. once i even got a camera with a scratched lense. considerig that i, just like ayone else, want to shoot quality video, broken or damaged equiptment doesnt help that much.

Participant

also, just so everyone knows, the only camera that i have done alot of shooting with is the pd-170. i have shot a little with the xl-2 but not much, and not at all at shows where i do most of my work. i can see the ability to shoot from the shoulder being convienint when shooting in a situation where i wont use a tripod. i have also heard the the added weight of the xl-2 can make it more stable for free hand shooting. any input here would be greatly appreciated as well.

Participant

nolo Wrote:

also, just so everyone knows, the only camera that i have done alot of shooting with is the pd-170. i have shot a little with the xl-2 but not much, and not at all at shows where i do most of my work. i can see the ability to shoot from the shoulder being convienint when shooting in a situation where i wont use a tripod. i have also heard the the added weight of the xl-2 can make it more stable for free hand shooting. any input here would be greatly appreciated as well.

Are you saying, that the PD170 is difficult to hold and shoot without shaking? I would like to know, as I’m thinking about purchasing a a PD170.

Heavier camcorders are generally easier to keep steady. It really comes down to physics. It’s easier to move (shake) a pebble than a boulder. But in terms of camcorders, in my experience, the difference between a relatively small PD170 to a Canon XL2 are somewhat noticeable, but not enought to justify spending 3 grand more (or whatever it is). Also, you really don’t see a big difference until you’re shooting with broadcast cameras. We’re talking somewhere around 18 pounds and above compared to the consumer 4 pounds and below camcorder.

I’d try to find an inexpensive way to add more stabilization for whatever your shooting with and practice, practice. See this link for an example of what you can add to your existing camera for cheap. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

Participant

mmontgomery,

i veiwed the link you attached and it looks pretty nice. i also did a little more searching and found another design that looks good too. here is the link for anyone who may be interested: http://www.regnstrom.com/flystand/ . i have a feeling that i will end up building one of these myself, i am just not sure which one. the design offered at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/ looks like it may be more stable because it offers two points to hold. it also seems more versatile because you can use it inverted for a low to the ground angle, which i like the look of when shooting automobiles. but, the one from the link i provided looks more professional and adjustable. i also think i may be able to modify the design so i can use it inverted. any other advantages/disadvatages of these two rigs that i might not have considered are more than welcome.

thanks again for the advice.

Participant

Are you saying, that the PD170 is difficult to hold and shoot without shaking? I would like to know, as I’m thinking about purchasing a a PD170.

no, i have no complaints about the pd170, it is just out of my price range. considering that i do alot of moving hand held shooting, i was just wondering if one of the cameras i was considering offered superior image stabilization over the other or if there was a better camera that i hadn’t looked in to.

Participant

nolo Wrote:

mmontgomery,

the design offered at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/ looks like it may be more stable because it offers two points to hold.

thanks again for the advice.

I have a full vest mount system and I have found that the more points you touch it at the more unstable it becomes. Movements look more jerky the more you touch it. I only touch mine with two fingers, and it is perfectly stable while running or going up stairs or anything. But if I hold it tight the footage looks like crap. What I am getting at is the tighter you hold it the less stable it will look.If it is anything like mine that is. Take into account that I have a full professional kit though.

Participant

Videolab,

Thank you for your input.

I have never used any sort of stabilization rig before, and what you just said is the complete opposite of what I would have expected. I don’t know if you have viewed the links preiously posted, but if you have which of the two would you expect to work better?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap