I’m looking for creative production ideas for a hockey video

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Specialty Topics Wedding and Event Video I’m looking for creative production ideas for a hockey video

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’ve produced 6 hockey highlight videos to date, and am working on #7. However, all my past videos followed a common format and I’d like to "break the mold" by doing something a little more creative. This will be the 3rd video for the high school hockey team, which means they’ve already seen my work twice already. So, I’d like to do something different.

I keep the videos at 15-20 min and the format I’ve used thus far is as follows: Fast action intro, head coach interview, lockerroom, player int, defense coach int, defensive highlights, offense coach int, offense highlights, goalie coach int, goaltending highlights, hitting highlights, head coach wrapup, goal celebration highlights, credits.

It’s a format that works well. It’s fast – each highlight clip is 4-7 sec – and the supporting rock music helps with the excitement.

But, as I said… these kids have seen this format twice already. Since I’ve only seen 2 or 3 other highlight videos (none of which were comparable), I’m stuck in my current paradigm.

What other approaches might I take? We still have a few games left, so if I need to get some unique footage, I still have time.

I’m starving for input, so all suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Inactive

I hope you get some good input. You don’t mention your location, but there is no hockey here in Oklahoma. In fact, we have a different defnition of the term. Here it would be used in a sentence like – "Careful! You almost stepped in that dog hockey!" Of course there is also a rather vague sense that hockey is the Canadian version of the UFC. X-D

Participant

You may want to add some production elements – I recently got some very nice stuff (for a really good price) from Digital Juice – They have animated backgrounds (called Jump Backs), wipes, video clip-art elements (called Motion Design Elements), overlays, etc… that could really spice up your work.

They sell certain pieces seperately (Jump Backs, Motion Design Elements) and also bundle coordinated sets together in their Editor’s Toolkits (they have one for sports and it does include hockey).

You could also add some interesting titling using something like Bluff Titler – It’s helped me with some of my stuff.

Inactive

Looks like you have a solid plan already.

To change things up, I’ll present the story in a non-linear way. Whatever was played first, plays last, and vice versa.

What do you think about starting with the goal celebrations? You could follow that with the coach’s and players actions that led up to it.

-andrew @ videomaker

Inactive

I’ve always opened the videos very dramatically, usually building up from slomo ecu’s of each kid (or freeze frames) and then jumping to some good fast rock music and some of the best highlights of the year – fancy goals, hard hits, etc. 4 sec clips at the most, about 25 of them. This gets the video off on the right foot and gets the audience excited right off the bat. The opening segment is usually about 2 min, and I think it’s the most important. If they don’t like the first few minutes, they won’t care to see the rest of it.

That being said… I really feel the need to get out of my paradigm, so I’ll give anything a chance. Showing the celebrations first might be it.

As for adding other production elements – I do the videos for… f r e e (shhh, don’t tell anyone) so purchasing effects would have to be a must before I shell out the cash. I am thinking about adding some clips from the Slapshot movie, though, either just audio or maybe some actual video.

I’ve always stayed away from trying to be too flashy. I saw one hockey video where the guy used a different transition effect every time – about 30 different ones probably – way too over the top. It looked like a kid made it. I just downloaded Sony Vegas, and I like some of their effects, so I may use that. I currently use Pinnacle Studio – mostly because it was cheap when I started 8 years ago and is easy use. Is there a better tool I should look into that won’t cost me a fortune?

Any other ideas?

Inactive

bpozsgai,

I do this samething every year for the local high school varsity football team. My projects usually end up on two DVDs and go about 2 to 2-1/2 hours in length. I to, have the same challenge each year that you’re facing. I get most of ideas from watching TV and movies.

For the most part, I agree Andrew (above) in that you have a solid game plan going already. What you might want to do is add content to what you’re doing as well adding some spice like Digital Juice graphics. Music is also a big thing. It takes a lot of work in editing but you can have fun taking highlights and timing them to music. Evey year I have to include the crowds favorite which is called "Jack Time". This is a montage of all of the greatest hits set to music.

This year I set it up so that I went to all of the senior’s homes (that were on the team) and I filmed a segment that emulated "Cribs" which is this show on MTV. This show is about how famous people live and their lasvish lifestyles. Each segment was like 3 to 4 minutes but it ended up working out great. It was unrehearsed and the guys were just winging it so it ended up being absolutely hilarious. Some of these kid’s rooms are natural disasters… that’s all I’m going to say. Everyone ended up in the isles laughing when they saw this.

Last year I had this one guy called "Super Fan" who was like the star of the show. This guy was always doing what ever it took to see his team play, practice and so fourth. I had him dressed and act like Bill Murray in "Caddyshack". I had scenes of him hiding in lockers, in the towel carts (like that one commercial) in trees with binoculars, hanging on the back of the team bus when it was going to a game and so fourth. I just added that to my existing format which is similar to what you have only with football instead of hockey.

I also use the Digital Juice products as "birdcat" (above) has already mentioned. Their sports toolkit is loaded with a bunch of tailored made eye candy geared to various sports. Hockey is one of them. This will spice up your productions and make them that much better. They can be expensive but if you watch for sales, you can get them a lot cheaper.

The bottom line is that you just need to think outside the box and just add to what you are already doing. You know, maybe video the players doing a mock cooking show or something. These kids will have fun and get plenty of face time as well.

Now, let’s talk about you doing this for nothing. 😯 ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Let me tell you something. Parents, grand parents, aunts, uncles and even the players will pay anything to have a DVD memory. You are doing them a favor (or I should say parents a favor) by capturing their childhood. Parents don’t have the time or the expertise to do this so if you do it for them, they will pay. TRUST ME! πŸ˜‰ I charge $50.00 per copy of a 2-DVD set in full size cases w/lables each year and I sell a minimum of 50 each year. That’s a quick $2500.00 dollars. Sometimes people even say that I should charge more. Don’t be shy in asking for money. Just tell them that in order to keep doing what you’re doing, you need to generate some income somehow. Everyone will understand.

Hope this helps or at least opens up a new way of thinking.

Good luck,

RAM

Inactive

Ok, ok,… let’s not get hostile… I WANT to make money… but the reason I’ve always done it for free is because it’s always been my son’s teams and I want him to have a memory of the teams he’s played on. I did suggest that his team from 3 years ago pay, and they balked. Hockey is already pretty expensive. So, my son doesn’t have a video from that year. My other concern about charging is that although I think I make a nice production, I have very little to compare myself to. You guys know as well as I do that people are easily impressed. So, when they tell me "wow, great job" – is that because they’ve just never seen anything like it before? – or is it because I’ve really done nice work?

You’ll be relieved to know that I just started my first pay job yesterday. $900 for another hockey team’s video. Their coach has seen my work.

I love that "Cribs" idea! That would work well for the Seniors. I’ll give that some thought. ….not sure about "super fan" though, maybe another time.

I’ll check into the Digital Juice stuff, I guess. Because I do need something more than what I’ve always done.

About your length – 2 1/2 hours??? Who wants to watch that over and over? I keep mine to 20 min max. That way, they can pop it in when they have friends over or relatives or at a party – whatever. I don’t think anyone would want to sit for a couple hours to watch something like that just on a whim. Nobody has 2 hours to spare – but 20 min, sure, no problem. I fill the rest of the dvd with raw footage of semi-highlights that didn’t make the "production version". That way, they get a full hours worth of memories.

Thanks for the feedback, guys…. I feel like I’m on an island over here.

Inactive

and another thing…. if you’re selling copies for $50 apiece, how do you keep kids from buying one and making their own copies? Is there a way to copy protect them?

Inactive

To answer your first question, kids just love to watch themselves. I know it seems weird but they just do. I have had parents tell me that their sons cant go a week without throwing in their video and watching it again. I guess there is some kind of infatuation thing going on there. Also, if you read the signature I have at the bottom of my posts, it will pretty much explain the rest of the story. Do you know what it will be like when these kids are full-grown married adults with sons of their own? Imagine sitting down with your son and watching the old man play football in his days. Thats what its all about! Thats why I do it. I wish I had had someone do this for me when I played so that I could have shown my son (who played middle linebacker and graduated from HS and is now in collage) how good I was. All I have are newspaper articles and they are starting to get real yellow looking. :'(

Your copy question is a good one. We all have to deal with that. About the only way I can combat this is by packaging these in a real nice professional looking DVD case with fancy lables and DVDs w/labels. I would compare this to like a yearbook. They could copy the pages if they want, but it just wouldnt be the same as having the entire book all put together.

What I do every year is I make arrangements with the high school to show this on the big screen in this beautiful theater like auditorium they have. Everyone including parents grandmas and grandpas show up. It actually turnes out to be a pretty big deal. I would estimate about 200 people show up. Right after they watch this, the only thing they can think of is that they have to have one right now so I have them all made up and ready to sell. My goal is usually 50. I guess if they want to copy them they could, but they would just have plan looking DVDs. Most of these players know me real well too, so I guess out of respect, the majority of them will buy them from me. Besides, its usually the parents that pull out the checkbooks anyway.

As far as watching 2-1/2 hours of video, a football season is pretty long so there is a lot of highlight footage to include. Especially this year because they went to the state championship game in Madison which was Greendale’s first time. I would think that most of these guys dont actually sit down and watch the whole thing all the time, they might just flip through to their favorite parts. I have them all set up with menus so they can jump around to where ever they want.

Like I mentioned to you earlier, this is history that will never happen again and people will pay so that they can relive that anytime they want. Thats what event videography is all about! Its modern technology at its finest. It sure beats looking at yellow newspaper clippings. X-D

RAM

Inactive

I agree… I enjoy making the videos mostly because I know what a treasure they are – and will become.

You’ve also got me thinking about the length, too. My 20 min rule is really a carryover from my VHS days. A DVD menu takes care of that. Hmm… I can make a full hour long highlight video? – wow – that changes everything. Of course, even with 25 hockey games, I only have so many highlights… (our team isn’t very good). But, maybe I can use other filler footage; workouts, practices, etc. Excellent, now I’m getting somewhere – I’m way off my well beaten path and that’s just what I was looking for.

So, just to be clear: you don’t charge for filming or production time, just $50 per copy, right? I like that idea better than trying to estimate my hours and give a quote based on an hourly rate.

What’s your recommendation for software? I just started looking at Sony Vegas and already found a missing feature that Pinnacle has.

Inactive

I think your getting it now! All I can say is that Im now a video maniac thus the name video-maniac. I think of this as an art form that allows you to be as creative as possible just like Picasso only instead of using paint and a canvas, I use a keyboard and LCD monitors.

OK Im not going to lie in that it does take time to edit it all up. I am an engineer by day and a videographer by night so I dont depend on this as income at all. I think of this more as a hobby that I really enjoy more than anything else. I do maybe 4 to 6 weddings a year along with other various projects. That keeps me out of trouble. Now dont let this scare you but Im thinking that it takes about an hour for every finished minute of edited video on a DVD. This includes filming, capturing, editing, clip adjustments, sound adjustments, titling, graphics, music applications, rendering, and encoding. When I break this down based on sales, Im probably coming in around $3 to $5 dollars per/hour or 1 beer an hour. Actually, I should include the time I spend scratching my head trying to come up with clever ideas too.

I use Adobe products. Premiere Pro is my base NLE, After Affects is my main animation app and I use Photoshop for my still work. Premiere Pro is very capable of handling audio so I dont bother with Audition. Thats pretty much it. I use some other aids too like Digital Juice, Digital Hotcakes and Smartsound, but those are used for nothing more than enhancements to the main project.

Good luck and have fun. Just remember that there is nothing stopping you from being as creative as you want. You will also find that every project you do will be better then the last one you just did. Trust me! πŸ˜‰

Good Luck!
      8)
      RAM

Participant

bpozsgai Wrote:

I’ll check into the Digital Juice stuff, I guess. Because I do need something more than what I’ve always done.

Hi bpozsgai –

Digital Juice has been running specials lately – Their "Deal of the Day" has been very well received by all usually about 10 – 33 percent of regular price – I’ve gotten over $5,000 worth of stuff (retail) for around $500 since Christmas alone. Also, once you have an account with them, they give free downloads about once a week of one of their newer assets.

I picked up their Sports Editor’s Toolkit for $59 (plus $5 for shipping) a couple of weeks ago (my son does HS Basketball) and it’s great.

It’s really worth a look.

Inactive

Thanks birdcat… I’ll definitely look at adding to my software resources.

Videomaniac, your numbers didn’t scare me… My 20 min video from last year took about 96 hours. So, I’m more in the 5 hrs/min range. But, that’s probably because I use so many clips (4 – 7 sec each), and edit each one meticulously. I’ll probably use longer clips this year, but I’ll probably also put in more creative thinking time. So, I should still come in at around 100 hours. My theory has always been, "nobody cares what it took to make the video, they only care what it looks like when it’s done." So, whatever it takes – as long as it’s done by the banquet date!

Thanks again, guys – you’ve been a great help!

Would love to see your videos. I to am looking for some ideas for this year’s hockey team video. Here is mine from two years ago: https://youtu.be/qopLlXe8-7Q

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video β€” 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap