If I convert AVCHD to .avi files, can I Core2Duo?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion If I convert AVCHD to .avi files, can I Core2Duo?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have a friend with a Core2Duo 2.26. He wants to get an AVCHD camera (Canon HF200). I think he uses Premiere.

If he converts the AVCHD files to .avi, can he edit this in Premiere with a Core2Duo at 2.26GHz? Or does he still need a CoreDuo Quad, in order to avoid stuttering during playback?

Thanks.

Participant

There are converters that will convert AVCHD (MTS) to all sorts of files – As long as the codec he converts to is of low compression (like most versions of AVI) he shouldn’t have a problem editing with the Core 2 Duo.

FWIW – I convert from MTS (AVCHD) to M2T (lightly compressed MPEG-2) and have no problems on a 2.53 GHz Pentium 4 with 2 GB RAM.

Participant

The quality of performance on your computer doesn’t (or shouldn’t) affect the resulting quality after a conversion. In PowerDirector, there is a Speed-Quality slider bar for the user to decide. If this converting mechanism exists, my advice is to keep it at the highest quality, despite the performance. The only factor that should vary, based on the PC’s performance, is the rendering time it takes.

You should also realize that converting AVCHD to AVI, you will have the limitations (types of information loss) of both formats. AVI compresses in a different way than does AVCHD. AVI results in the lesser amount of information loss, but the type of loss is different. The results may not be noticeable, so your best bet might be converting to AVI as you mentioned above.

If Adobe Premiere edits AVCHD smoothly enough, I would work with the AVCHD content as it is.

Participant

If you would like to edit AVCHD in Adobe, you have to convert AVCHD to Adobe formats, like MOV, WMV or MPEG. Personally, I am using Aunsoft MTS Converter which is powerful in converting AVCHD/MTS video to other editable video formats, like MOV, AVI, WMV, MPEG, FLV, MKV, and etc.

If you would like to do some simple editing, this program will satisfy you.

The output vieo is in high quality without the high synchronization of video and audio.

http://www.aunsoft.com/mts-converter/

Participant

With Adobe Premier Elements 7 after you import your AVCHD clips and hit ENTER the program renders (i.e converts) them to .avi so converting them ahead of time is irrelevant.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video editing software — 2021

In this article, we’ll go over the criteria you’ll need to consider when choosing the best video editing software for your needs.
homicide-bootstrap