Ideal stand alone solution?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

What is a very good stand-alone sound recording solution?

I’m looking at the Azden SGM-2X Shotgun Condenser Microphone with a Rode Boom Pole.

Participant

compusolver Wrote:

That’s a little like asking "what’s a good form of transportation?". It all depends upon the context – it could be a car, truck, bus, plane or boat.

In this case, a shotgun on a boompole would not be a good option for a wedding videographer, rodeo videographer, football, etc.

It wouldn’t work for many documentaries because it might make the subject feel uncomfortable.

For many scripted shoots, it would probably be fine.

And what do you mean by "stand alone"? No camcorder needed? No backup audio?

That’s why there are different kinds of audio capturing tools, because there are all kinds of unique circumstances that must be handled differently.

Ha, forgive me for the ambiguity πŸ˜€

I’m still doing my research and I’m looking at, among other things, HDR-HC3, which does not have adequate audio. I’m looking at getting a stand-alone digital recorder and recording scripted events indoor and outdoor, so shotgun is definately a necessity.

If I could get a better shotgun mic + recorder for $600, that’d be nice.

Participant

I’d prefer as good as quality as possible, but $700 for a recorder . . . gack.

EDIT: I found the Marantz PMD660, which doesn’t seem too shabby, for $500. Hmmm.

Participant

compusolver Wrote:

My first thought was that this must be a lesser model. I recall that there were two models a couple hundred dollars apart and I bought the higher priced model – but this is it – the 660!

I bought mine from b&h about four months ago. Didn’t get the two mics or case that are advertised here. Jean just checked that order and the recorder was $500 but the 2G flash card was $109 and the XLR cables and adapters were another hundred dollars, totalling $700.

At any rate, the recorder works great, but the controls are placed to invite catastrophe. For instance, when you hook it up to a soundboard to shoot an event or wedding, the sound operator or DJ may have to move it a little to one side or another. But in the dark, if you just grab the recorder to move it, you’re likely to hit the Stop button and end recording.

We have experienced problems like that about 1/3rd of the time.

Awesome! πŸ˜€

Yeah, I just checked and SanDisk makes a 4GB CF card for about $105, which is a big wow.

Looks like that might be it . . . thanks!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best laptops for video editing β€” 2021

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap