I’d like to have an opinion about this situation…..

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion I’d like to have an opinion about this situation…..

• This topic has 10 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

So I made a music video…. I’m 17 years old… I’ve been playing around with making videos since I was 10 years old. I’ve been accepted and will be attending Tribeca Flashpoint Academy in Chicago during the fall for Film Production & Broadcasting.

I’d just like to get opinions, and possibly a price you would put on this quality of a video. Basically so that I can make some videos before I go to school but make some money off of them so I have some spending money, or a nice new camera (which i obviously need).

Inactive

I’d just like to know an estimate of what this video may be worth?

Participant

I would say about $2500 to $5000 give or take.

Participant

Ryan –

OK – Watched it this morning. I’m really not a fan of most rap/hip hop music (probably less than a dozen songs I like of those genre) but I must say your video was at least as well made as any I’ve seen on VH-1 or MTV.

There were a couple of places where I found the visual story confusing (like the bar fight – why is it there with only a small amount of footage and nothing leading up to it? Or did I miss something in the lyrics that explained it).

But overall, it is well made, watchable, not too much glitz even though you use it liberally – it works.

As for what it’s worth – to whom? To you as a producer/dp/videographer/editor, then Charles is probably in the ballpark (unless it makes it’s way to television, then more). To the artist/their manager/publicist, it depends on how much revenue it brings in and/or how much interest in the artist it drives. Should it make it to a public venue like TV, then it would depend on advertising revenue.

Personally I can’t wait to see what you’ll do after some formal training!

Participant

“I’m really not a fan of most rap/hip hop music”

I used to be in that mindset about 7 months ago. If the money is right you can learn to be a fan of any genre in an instant. Now I am working on some rap/hip hop videos after a producer contacted me.

Ryan, where are you located? I see you will be going to school in Chicago.

Participant

I really like the opening shots right up to the porch. I am not a fan of the music but, if you are just 17 and made that with out a professional crew you have a promising future if you work hard at it. As for what its worth – to me well if you are asking about the content – not much. If you are asking about what to charge for making something a music video such as yours it would vary depending on who you are sellingmarketing too. I don’t think it would be unreasonable to ask in the $1000-$3000 range.

Good luck in school and keep making videos. Honestly, you had me in the beginning with your opening shots.

Participant

@doublehamm – What got me to like any of it was Weird Al’s “Amish Paradise” which led me to Coolio’s “Gansta’s Paradise” – I liked them both! A few more have crept in since then.

Participant

Funny you mention Coolio. Our biggest frontrunner – err – one of our more talented artists will be opening for him tonight in Duluth MN. If I didn’t have to worry about childcare I would be taking the 5 hour drive to be up there. It should be great publicity for us!

Participant

Sorry… carry on…. I like what you have done with video so far with no real training. You will be a force to reckon with in the near future! Keep Shooting!

Participant

Doublehamm, where do you live man, I am in St. Louis, MO. Maybe some day we can collaborate on a project or two.

Participant

I am near Minneapoils, MN. I haven’t done much with music video yet, just planning and trying to set up a studio so we can move forward and get something out there for the world to see!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap