I think I’m on the right track..or am I?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

For years I’m eager to make a few nature documentaries, and for a good while I have some scripts that ready to use.

I’m brand new in the world of video graphing so be patient with me please.

About those script:

I’m wondering if I did the right thing, have the rightapproach(for I never have seen a “real” script in my life)

First I did write the whole story that I want to be told and put that on sound-tape. Timed each segment of that story to determine the minimal length of the scenes. Various scenes are divided into sub-scenes (takes) to highlight certain aspects of the subject at hand. I investigated if the time of a “take” is not too long or too short by comparing that with existingdocumentaries of the same kind.Also I sort out some background sound/music that fit the nature of mydocumentary.

Well, I think it will work out just fine. I visualize that it going to work as planned.

Do you think this is the right approach? Any suggestions?

Participant

Most documentaries’ stories are put together in post. This is because they are simply docuemented in the field (hence the name). It sounds like you are making more of a feature. That said, you are planning it fine. Unless you are bound to a specific running time, you are set.

Participant

My suggestion would be to do an outline only of what you want, and then let the story evolve in your edit. By locking yourself into a tight script for a nature feature you run the risk of missing a wonderful opportunity to do something truly unique. So have a plan, but don’t go out with it etched in steel! Most important, HAVE FUN DOING IT! Good Luck!

Inactive

Thanks guys!

I’m glad you both think I’m on the right track.Of course there is room for changes / additions etc. (thus certainly not etched in steel :D)

The bid idea is to have at least the matters highlighted in mydocumentary that I think is important. It must not only be informative but also educative.As is right now I calculated 25 minutes, but I’m willing to stretch it to 45 minutes.

Well…to make a long story short….I have work to do!

Dick,

Yeah, you definitely want an outline so you can make up a good shot list. Funny thing about Doc’s is you’re ‘writing’ the story more with your camera than anything else. The outline just keeps you in the ‘neighborhood’ of what you’re trying to shoot. But often while shooting, it will be the pickup shots that will dictate the direction of your story.

The outline will come in handy later when it comes time to do narration if required and to act as sort of a ‘script’ when you’re hammering out the edit in post. Also, your estimated running time is a very fluid number. A while back I shot a Doc that was hard and fast a 10-minute piece. However, I had enough covering footage to go for at least an hour!

So, your doc depending on what you plan on doing with it may benefit from being shorter or longer.

Inactive

Sounds like you are on the right track, but never shoot to the exact time limit. Running time should be determined during post, plan out your shoot as much as possible to get as much coverage as possible without your run time in the forefront in mind. But I would definitly say plan out as much as possible shoot times script questions for interviews and so on, on the fky can bring out great things but going in without the plan is the worst.

Participant

One of the things I include on my outline is specific shots I at least think I want to use as cuts or establishing shots. If I am shooting nature maybe I want to remember to shoot a sunset, a few seconds of a flowing stream…dew on a spiders web..whatever. I know you think you won’t forget something so basic but I hate to be back in the edit bay and have an “oh yeah” moment.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The Best Bags and Cases

The best camera bags and cases — 2020

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap