I need to show my DVD

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi! What do I need to show a DVD in a large party center? All they are providing me with is the big screen?

Last time, I was told I could use a laptop. They had a projector, but there was no sound! I was so bummed!

My video DVD had talking and music and no one could hear it! Please advise what I need to set this up.

Thanks to all!

MM

Inactive

you would need some sort of amplifier hooked up to hear the sound, you could use a dvd player and run the video feed to the projector and run the audio cables to a small cube amplifier.

John

Inactive

Some multimedia projectors come with the speakers built in. If you don’t want to do what Johnboy said then the only way I know other than Johnboys idea is to buy a better projector but that can get expensive.

Inactive

you would need some sort of amplifier hooked up to hear the sound, you could use a dvd player and run the video feed to the projector and run the audio cables to a small cube amplifier. John

Probably the best plan – that or add an amp to your computer if you run the disc from it

Inactive

So how did it turn out?

Participant

I learned alot from this experience, one being not to depend on others who say they will do it for ya! Next time, I’ll bring the amp.

Meanwhile, I bought a DLP projector. Will connect it to the amp.

I do hundreds of memorial montage projections a year for area funeral homes. This is my setup: Samson amplified speaker (I used to set up two, the Sampson with built in amp, and a Sampson slave unit, on stands on each side of the screen, but with the size of the venue it served no purpose so far as true stereo separation – so now I use only the amplified speaker, usually on the floor and not on a stand at all) with a 35′ RCA pin plug cable feeding from a small DVD player unit audio out to the speaker RCA inputs; I feed the S-video output from the player into a Panasonic/or Epson 2000 lumens projector, throwing the image on a 6′ x 8′ t-stand model screen from Screenworks. I use a projection stand with screw-in legs adjustable for height. My total system is set up and tested in less than 20 minutes. Sound is good, and I don’t have to worry about depending on anything from anybody.

Panasonic ran me $1,250; Sampson system about $1,000; Screen & black skirt & projection stand about $1,000; player $27 πŸ™‚

I had an earlier model InFocus 1200 lumens that ran me more than $2k, but it got stolen and I replaced it with the Panasonic. I also recently purchased an Epson for about $650 as an emergency (now I have a backup) when the lamp on the Panasonic exceeded its hours and wouldn’t come on. I didn’t have time to change lamps, so ran to Staples and picked up the Epson for a save.

I have projected on sheets hung over a wire, seriously white walls, the wide sides of buildings and even used the side of a white delivery truck at an evening outdoor event after somebody stole my original screen. Whatever works. Once, in an experiment to see if I could do something like what they do at Disneyland, I set up a sprinkler system and actually projected a video onto the cascading water. Yes, was far enough away to avoid oversplash.

I paid for my initial investment in less than six months, and now average $30K or better a year with projection and montage production work. It is a significant part of my monthly cash flow, and business bottom line. Projections bring in between $350 and $500 as a rule, depending, and on the number of hours I have to hang aroujnd until showtime, then wait to break down, if I cannot do so during the next phase of the event due to disturbance, etc. I almost always get another gig during each gig, and the montage productions are anything but fancy, generally bringing in an average of 8 orders at $25 a pop. Nice work when you can get it.

Participant

In a pinch, I have used external PC speakers.

Participant

You can plug PC speakers directly into your computer. The output signal from the computer’s speaker jack is an amplifyed signal, though you may need an external pre-amp for further amplifying. If you are presenting to a large party, I’d go with larger outlet-powered speakers. Just make sure you have an adapter to convert the speaker wiring to 1/8″.

Participant

If you’re not too worried about the quality, you can use a commercial DV camera hooked up to a PC. Get a decent microphone to record the audio and then use Windows Movie maker to edit the resulting sound and video together, before burning to DVD.

Participant

Thanks Earl for the great post! I have a few questions though:

1. What is the resolution of the Panasonic and Epson projectors? Or the model numbers?
      2. I am assuming that you do SD projections for these events. Do you do wide screen projections?

Thanks, Heidi

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap