I need help QUICK!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi everyone.

I’ve been reading various posts, and you have all been very informative, so thank you!

I’m a budding videographer. Up until now I’ve used a JVC GRD72, and it’s kinda gone kaput on me recently. I have been asked to videotape a wedding in the very near future (READ: I need help QUICK!), so now’s the time to take the plunge and shell out the cash. I need some serious advice on what camcorder to purchase.

I’d love to say that money is no object, but it is. The highest I could probably go is $3000, but I’d rather stay around $2000 (plus you gotta consider all the extras – tripod, audio, etc.). I’ve been looking at the Canon GL2, the Sony VX2100, and the Panasonic AG-DVC30. I’ve read great reviews for all of them, and each one seems to lack one thing that the other excels in.

So, I need help. I understand that low light capabilities are a must. I would love something that works great in candlelight-type situations. plus i want good audio. I know relying on the in-camera mic is not really the best bet – so any recommendations on mics as well?

Sorry – lot of post. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks in advance

Participant

Sounds like you are in a pretty decent situation with even that much money to work with. I would definately say go with the sony vx2100 for wedding work if you can. You should also look into getting a senheisser wireless G2 series ew100 lav mic setup, around $500 but well worth it! You can get a decent bogen tripod and fluid head, might even find a decent one used to go with. The final thing you should consider is a light, get the sony HVL 20DW2 it is a great lightsource for weddings. It will also work off of the sony L series batteries, which of course if you are doing weddings you should have a few of. Get the sony ones, not generic. If it were me I would go to http://www.bhphotovideo.com and place an order for the vx2100, senheisser wireless mics, light, 3+ batteries and a tripod. I know, it will take you over that 3,000 mark but trust me the equipment will be well worth it.

Later
      ~Adam

Participant

Why put up with the cords that get in the way, and carrying around a big battery on your belt just for your light? I prefer to just snap a battery onto the back of the light and blast out 40 watts of light straight from the shoe. And the sony batteries work with your camera too, so it’s all the same charger, bettery and everything. The sony light actually helps balance out the camera and feels really nice on there from a stability standpoint. (Ok, I’m finished now that I’m sounding like a sony ad)

Question for you Hank, what type of rechargable battery does your bescor take? I just ask because I have a couple bescor lights that use those darn lead acid batteries which I HATE, and they don’t last long enough. I would really like to get some lithium ion batteries that my bescor lights could use, but so far I haven’t found any. So… they’re just laying around collecting dust.

Later
      ~Adam
      http://www.inmotionvideo.biz/outdoorohio.html

Participant

The sony light doesn’t drain your on camera battery, it uses one of it’s own, but it’s the same type L battery as the cam uses. I can usually get an entire wedding with two NPF 970’s per camera, one for each camera and one for each light.

Later
      ~Adam

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap