I need help coming up with Ideas for my films….

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion I need help coming up with Ideas for my films….

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I love filmemaking, especially short films.
      The only problem is, I can never come up with an idea to make a film out of, and the ideas I end up coming up with are too big for my budget >.>

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to come up with ideas, and if they could share them with me.
      :-//

Inactive

make a mini documentery about a filmaker who is struggling to find the right script.

Participant

make a mini documentery about a filmaker who is struggling to find the right script.

Heh… ๐Ÿ˜€

Check other filmmaking forums for people who have posted scripts and other useful material.

Here’s a link to a great deal of movie making forums that might have what you are looking for.

http://www.jushhome.com/AmMoviePort/links.asp?CatId=133

Inactive

Ryan3078 Wrote:

Heh… ๐Ÿ˜€

Check other filmmaking forums for people who have posted scripts and other useful material.

Here’s a link to a great deal of movie making forums that might have what you are looking for.

http://www.jushhome.com/AmMoviePort/links.asp?CatId=133

thanks, but I really want to just have a method for coming up with ideas, I don’t want pre-made scripts and ideas.

Participant

thanks, but I really want to just have a method for coming up with ideas, I don’t want pre-made scripts and ideas.

I don’t think that there is a method for thinking of a film to do…just use your imagination and wait for the idea to come.

There’s no step-by-step process for thinking up something to do – just throw down ideas, ask your friends, anything!

Inactive

Ryan3078 Wrote:

I don’t think that there is a method for thinking of a film to do…just use your imagination and wait for the idea to come.

There’s no step-by-step process for thinking up something to do – just throw down ideas, ask your friends, anything!

I know… It’s just tough when I never get those random ideas >.>

Participant

Perhaps you can start with letting someone else bust their brain … well … not really. ๐Ÿ˜€ Think of any friends or family you have who have good ideas for stories. Let them do the script and you shoot the film. Your presentation of their idea will also have a hand in how much the audience enjoys it, it’s not only one aspect that makes a film successful. As you associate with those with good ideas and get practice filming them you might start developing the skill yourself.

Inactive

the ideas I end up coming up with are too big for my budget

sounds to me like you talk yourself out a lot of good ideas.
      let your imagination loose, go with what you got….if later on you need to go back and reshoot a project, do it when you got a budget.
      Heck, where would the Star Trek franchise be, if they waited around for million dollar budgets? or CGI?
      Some idiot crawling around the floor in a blanket….An ALIEN lifeform? Capin Kirk gettin it on with some green chick? (I don’t care HOW long you’ve benn out in space…THE CHICK WAS GREEN!!!!).

Participant

If you want a good story without having to go nuts coming up with something original, use this. It’s the original idea tons of Hollywood movies use [/sarcasm]. You can plug your ideas in and still have a good base for the plot:

http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/smc/journey/ref/summary.html

Participant

If you want a good story without having to go nuts coming up with something original, use this. It’s the original idea tons of Hollywood movies use [/sarcasm]. You can plug your ideas in and still have a good base for the plot:

http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/smc/journey/ref/summary.html

That actually was helpful. If I ever have to write another of my movies (I hope not!), then that will come in handy…

Participant

Yeah,, seems just about every Hollywood movie ever made follows the same general ideas. They just change the characters and settings.

Inactive

My screenwriting professor used to say:
      Take the basic story from some movie, play, or book; then change the setting.

For instance: Take the story from "Romeo and Juliet", put it in modern day New York, and voila: "West Side Story" ๐Ÿ˜‰

Of course, it doesn’t always work. I really liked the book "Rendezvous with Rama", but you can’t change the setting, because the setting (which is a gigantic spaceship) is a main part of the story. ๐Ÿ˜•

Oh well. Hey, maybe you could put the "Pulp Fiction" story in ….uh…. the middle ages. Yeah! ๐Ÿ˜€
      OK, maybe not.
      Ken Hull

Inactive

wow… so many replies XDD

Thanks for the help, I think I’ll try waiting for an idea to come, and while I’m waiting, I’ll use that outline that you provided Endeavor.

Thanks again ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I have an idea for you!!!!!
      Synopsis: This is the true story of probably the greatest crime in modern american history and it was almost LEGAL!!!
      How a few career criminals banded together and made hundreds of millions of dollars distributing narcotic medication namely oxycodone (Heroin) throughout america.
      The amazing stories of excess that only serious money can provide.A roller coaster of sex,drugs and rock n roll.
      The Blood and Guts of a cut throat industry where death was sold to millions by the pens of Greedy Doctors and well Organized criminals .
      Forcing the federal government to install strict new laws and completely rethink how it dispenses NARCOTIC medication.
      The men involved were indicted on $85 million dollars in money laundering (if the feds only knew the true amount)
      Bribery, Extortion,Money laundering and Murder.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap