I know, I know…More GL2 questions? The only time, i swear!

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Other Camcorders I know, I know…More GL2 questions? The only time, i swear!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

(edit: sorry in advance about the punctuation and whatnot, i think and type fast and have no time in my life for such an insignificant button as caps lock haha)

hello,

i am fairly new to this forum(1 post), but it sounds like if there is anyone to help me, it would be you guys.
      im in college now(see poor) and ive been doing video for the past 5 years, unfortunetly not on the best equipment. my parents have always been suportive of anything i do, but when it comes to money, its always been…"hey we’ll support you, just as long as you pay for it". so i’ve been shooting on cheap 1 chip cameras for a LONG time and now, for my 20th birthday, i think they’ve finally realized "hey, maybe he’s onto something…we should help him out" so now, with their blessings, i have 6 days to find a camera in their budget of 1500 dollars. ive been scouring the internet for stores or deals or anything to get me closer to my dream…without making them pay an arm and leg for it. im really trying to get my production company off the ground and ive come to the realization that i either need to get the dvc-30 or the gl2 which i had my eye on. both are relatively inexpensive and seem to fluctuate around my parents budget.

is there any knowledge on this forum of a store or anywhere i could get either of these for around 1500 dollars? in 6 days? and will i be happy with either of these cameras for the next say 5 years until i can afford to upgrade to a 100b or something to that extent? any help/guidance/steerage in the right direction would be greatly appreciated or any words of advice for a young rhode islander starting his own production company haha
      thanks again

Inactive

yeah, i got my hopes up a few days ago, sat my parents down and showed them the site, looked all good, then i stumbled upon resellerratings and they totally shat upon the website gold i thought i had found. so there really is no camera options for around 1500 dollars you think?

Inactive

thanks alot for all your help on this. ive been doing freelance filming and editing for a while now, pretty confident in the use of fcp and after effects when i think the project calls for it(i own both) and ive got borrowing access at times to higher end cameras and lav mics, and a shotguns my next purchase. but i really need my own camera and i can’t bring myself to buy another tiny consumer camera. my apartment was broken into and my last camera was stolen, along with my film buddys brand new vx2100, which he had only owned for a grand total of about 2 hours before our stuff got jacked. but i moved into a respectable neighborhood and have the opportunities for a few jobs this summer and i need a good solid camera.
      its such a shame that people are allowed to pull the stuff they are pulling on the internet with these online vendors, i just called expresscameras.com who advertised the gl2 for 1300, and asked if i could come to the store itself and take a look at what exactly i was buying from them and they got real aggrivated, transfered me a few times and eventually hung up.
      if your saying bandh is my best bet, im willing to bet you are right on the money and i guess im going to have to wait longer. i just dont want to waste this summer which could be filled with video possibilities haha.

Inactive

qben9354:

You are correct in that it is a shame what the crooks can get away with. Sometimes I sit there and read the horror stories of people that were taken and I can’t believe it.

"compusolver" supplied you with a link to smell these guys out. That site will be your best friend because I’m telling you right now that there a a lot of these super deal rip-off joints out there.

Just in case you didn’t know, there is a $250.00 rebate available for the GL2. If you could come up with just another $245.00 + your folks $1500.00 you could get a brand new in the box with everything from B&H. I think I saw that shipping was free too but that might have been a special deal that they were running. Then all you do is just fill out the rebate and in 4 to 6 weeks you get a check back for $250.00.

RAM

Inactive

yeah that would be my only real option, the only problem is the 1500 is with my almost 5-6 hundred already. i know it seems like the b&h is a deal but money is very tight with school and whatnot, i had to convince them for hours on end that 1500 would barely get me where i need to be. the main problem was 1500 came up before i found out those sites were all scams, now to go back and tell them that it was fake and the real price is something more close to 2 grand…they wont take to that all to well. i could make a quick 2 to 3 hundred if i still had a camera to work with as i have 2 freelance jobs waiting for me to get a camera/deck to log footage with, but alas…its a viscious cycle i need the camera to get the job, i need the job to get a camera haha.
      im really about to just hold my nose and jump in to the expresscameras.com bullsh*t scam and hope that i come up with a camera for under 1600

Inactive

😯 I like it!

If he does a good job he should submit it to 20/20. Not only will he get his camera but he’ll get the crooks… get some exposure and maybe even a job when he’s done with school! πŸ˜‰

RAM

Inactive

damn that is the greatest idea i’ve ever heard. unfortunetly-or rather real FORTUNETLY, i discussed the entire situation to my parents over some gin and tonics on the front porch after they got home from work, and they are actually making me order the camera off b&h! i protested and told them i didn’t want them spending the extra money on me and i’d figure out a way to get it for the afore mentioned price but they wouldn’t have it. i explained to them how i couldn’t make a decision on which camera to purchase because the panasonic was cheaper, but i had my heart set on the gl2, and we eventually settled on the canon. all tape deck problems i read about aside, i think im ordering it in the morning! thanks for all your help you guys, and about that 20/20 documentary…i think i am going to do that when i get some free time, but maybe not with something as expensive as a vid camera. maybe something alittle more budget friendly like some new lenses for my gl2? wont be as hard hitting as the poor college student with aspirations of film making who cant afford a camera story, but hey, it could still be interesting and would be taking a big visual film-like quality dump on the chest of those assholes who call themselves businessmen. πŸ˜‰

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses β€” 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap