I have very specific wishes for features in a new camcorder.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Other Camcorders I have very specific wishes for features in a new camcorder.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I fully realize that there are many threads started by those wanting advice on what to buy, but I have not found that they address my specific wishes, so please bear with what may appear quite redundant. I have owned six amateur camcorders over the past 20-some years, for the usual family events and personal travel / tourist video. I burn DVDs to share with family only. Based upon my experience, I have developed some wishes in my next camera. I do not expect to find that all my wishes can be fulfilled in a single camcorder model, but want to come as close as I can. In no particular order, here are my wishes:
      1. 16:9 and 4:3, or just 16:9 only. Family members who have old 4:3 TV will just have to view skinny
      people.
      2. transreflection LCD; one that can be viewed from more than a narrow viewing angle
      3. really good low light recording, without much noise introduced by gain
      4. Under 2 lb. in weight, thus ruling out excellent models such as VX-2100
      5. HD Mini DV tape. I understand that the world may be trending HDD and mini DVD, but not yet for
      me. On the other hand, If high capacity memory cards truly are significantly better than HD tape,
      tell me why.
      6. Very short startup time. I do not like having to burn up battery time just to avoid losing a shot
      while waiting for warmup.
      7. 1080i HD
      8. I have pretty much decided that cost will not be a deciding factor
      9. I want simple and easy prevention of more than a few seconds of wasteful ground shooting, which
      often happens when someone forgets to turn off the camcorder, and it hangs down from its strap
      10. I have almost certainly failed to mention some features that many good and serious users of
      camcorders have found quite necessary. What are these features?
      11. Which camcorder comes closest to having all these features?

Inactive

mine would be:
      3 ccd – 6 megapixel aps sized sensors.
      hd 1080i video to mini dv and an ipod dock to record simultaniously to hd.
      cf or sd slot for capturing 18 (3×6) megapixel stills while capturung video.
      slr viewfinder, with live lcd viewing on ipod.
      slr type bayonet mount (prefer pentax).

no bigger than the Sony hdr HC1.

Participant

I note the somewhat different set of wishes from ;0).

As I have a perfectly good digital SLR and four lenses, I care not at all about a camcorder’s Still capability. There is just no way that any camcorder is going to have the performance of my big digital SLR.

I have already stated that the dollar cost is not a determining factor. That said, I wonder whether 3 CCDs that may be smaller than the one in a 1-CCD HD camcorder are good value for the money. Is 3-CCD necessarily better, and in which ways? Given my current state of ignorance, I have not formed a wish for 3CCD, but I would welcome enlightenment on this feature.

I eagerly await replies that tell me of a camcorder that comes close to meeting my functionality/features wishes.

Highmeadowhiker

Participant

highmeadowhiker Wrote:

16:9 and 4:3, or just 16:9 only. Family members who have old 4:3 TV will just have to view skinny people.

They would not have to, their DVD player will letterbox video for them.

highmeadowhiker Wrote:

really good low light recording, without much noise introduced by gain. Under 2 lb. in weight

First requires big chip, big lens oh and big price, thus your requirements contradict each other.

highmeadowhiker Wrote:

HD Mini DV tape. I understand that the world may be trending HDD and mini DVD, but not yet for me. On the other hand, If high capacity memory cards truly are significantly better than HD tape, tell me why.

Tape is dying. The best solution is solid state interchangeable memory cards. 2GB card costs $20 or less, 4GB card can be easily found, 8GB cards will soon be the norm for everyday consumer. Since one needs a computer anyway to create something decent out of raw stuff, the cards are the best. They are not susceptible to humidity and dust like tapes, for shocks like DVDs, for shocks and low pressure like HDDs. Memory cards is the future. No, it is the present.

highmeadowhiker Wrote:

1080i HD

This is the most crappy HD standard first because it is interlaced, and interlaced is evil, ’nuff said. Second because it’s impossible to realize all 1920×1080 pixels with pitiful 25Mbps rate of HDV or 15Mbps rate of AVCHD. Either the rate should be faster, like 100Mbps on higher-level cams (and the cards should be more capacitous) or the resolution should be lower. For today level of technology and today’s level of bitrates 720p is superior to 1080i. The only kind of 1080 worth buying is 1080p, but there are currently no available capacities (recording, transmitting) for that. Well, 1080p/24 is not bad, especially for film look, but for regular everyday videotaping its frame rate is too low.

highmeadowhiker Wrote:

I want simple and easy prevention of more than a few seconds of wasteful ground shooting, which often happens when someone forgets to turn off the camcorder, and it hangs down from its strap

The battery should be inserted from the front πŸ™‚

Michael, Canon Elura User Pages

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap