I don’t know if this belongs here…but lets talk about grainy video

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Miscellaneous Techniques I don’t know if this belongs here…but lets talk about grainy video

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Recently, I posted about achieving dramatic lighting and some problems I was running into. I have been watching many videos with dramatic lighting (part of the face lit up, and the other part in shadow) What I have noticed is that in these videos. The shadow part is BLACK, very smooth and crisp. When I take video, the lit up part of my subjects face is good, but the dark side, is very grainy. How do I achieve this “crisp” distinction between light and dark, this absolute contrast? Do I do it in post, and if so how do I do it?

Participant

What kind of camera are you shooting with?

You want to use a camera that allows you to adjust the image manually so you can keep the Gain at 0dB. Boosting gain is what causes the image to get grainy, and a lot of consumer cameras do not let you control this function. So it will automatically boost the gain without your consent

Cameras with larger image sensors record less grain too.

Participant

I’m using a Canon GL2, can I manually adjust the gain on it?

Participant

Yea. I used to use that camera, so I know it allows for manual adjustments. And I know you can achieve dramatic lighting with it because I light dramatic lighting too. Here is an example:

Participant

Hmmm thats good to hear! Do you remember how to do it? I’m messing around with it, and I can’t quite figure it out.

Participant

Wait I figured it out…I will get back to you, hopefully this makes the blacks crisp!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap