I am considering the HVR-HD1000u

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I need to upgrade my camcorder. I am looking at the HVR-HD1000u. I understand that it won’t be as good as the XL2 or something, but my budget is next to nothing and I can get this for about 1300 at B&H. I wanted to know if anyboy has any experiance with this camcorder and what you think of it. I would love suggestions of other cameras if you know of any in the same price range.

Thank you very much,

Evan

Inactive

Evan,

Sounds like a reasonable choice. I had been considering that camcorder for some time, but eventually chose the HVR-V1U, a more expensive model. But the HVR-HD1000u is a reasonably good choice. Has a focus ring (which can be switched to zoom or exposure functions). The shoulder mount design can be useful for event videography.

On the down side, the mic input is a miniplug, not a professional XLR connection. You might eventually wish to use the more professional mics, which will have the XLR connection. Also, I’ve noticed the industry is moving away from tape, and switching to memory cards instead, which should be a little more dependabe. You might consider the Panasonic AG-HMC70U, a slightly more expensive model which has XLR inputs and uses memory cards. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a focus ring (a strange omission). A couple notches up in price would get the very desirable Panasonic AG-HMC150 (which I would have chosen if available when I made my purchase). But now we’re in the price range of the XL2.

For the money, the HVR-HD1000U is a great buy, and would probably keep you happy for some time. (BTW, you know that the XL2 is just a standard-definition camcorder, right? If a budget standard-def camcorder is what you want, consider the GL2.)

Ken

Inactive

Yeah, Seeing that the GL2 is more than the 1000U, I figgured that the 1000U would be the better choice for me. I don’t care about the audio too much, I will be using a DAT recorder most of the time.

Thank you very much Ken

Participant

I bought this camcorder, and it’s great. It’s the same as our secondary shot camcorder internally (HDR-HC7), but with the professional look. It’s easier to use than the HD7, because the weight of it is actually a plus. It’s not as jerky. It has two hooks to attach a shoulder strap to, and that really helps for stability. Footage taken is at http://www.slitherproductions.com. If you go to the webmag, Michelle Wright’s interview, the video footage in there is with this camcorder.

Karen

Participant

I have a HVR HD1000N. This is my first prosumer camera. For a newb like me I find it easy to shoot. I shoot videos of Sprint car racing. So far I learned the importance of using manual focus so it does not drive off ads I pan thru light pols and the safety fence. I still am not satisfied with the video quality once the sun sets. Not sure if I need to play with the shutter speed or other settings.

Participant

I have this camera and I both love it and hate it. On the good side, if you are shooting in good lighting conditions, then your footage should be good. The HD video is vey nice. However, the low light capabilities are poor, and are exacerbated by the fact that the gain control is totally automatic – no manual. So, whenever you open the iris up you can end up with lots of noise on your footage. The included microphone is good, and audio does sound nice.

Skill of shooter will always trump limitations of the camera – I’m still learning how to really use mine. If you go to Vimeo and other places, you can find some fantastic video shot with this camera. Another option might be a Panasonic AG-HMC 40. It’s about $2200, but has 3 1/4 CMOS, and shoots on SD cards. It’s brand new though, so I haven’t seen any footage from it yet though.

Good Luck!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap