I am buying an external Microphone, Need advice

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 14 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I know alot has alrady been asked about Mic’s but I have looked and still haven’t settled on one. I shoot short films and am looking to put it on a boom pole, or mounted. I was looking at the RODE videomic or the Sennheiser MKE 300 or the Audio-Technica AT897. Which is better, and is there one even better than those, under 300 dollars. And I own the HDR HC3 with a VMC K100, it doesn’t have a headphones input for monitering. What would you recommend

Inactive

All 3 of those are quality brands of mics. However, the Audio-Technica AT897 is very expensive, and has an XLR connector. I suspect your camcorder has a 1/8" minijack. So either the Rode VideoMic or the Sennheiser MKE 300 would be your choice. I have the Rode VideoMic, and am very happy with it. It has a good integrated shock mount. Looking at the Sennheiser description on the B&H website, it apparently has something similar (although the photo doesn’t show it). The Rode and the Sennheiser cost about the same, so it’s up to you. I can recommend the Rode, because I have one, but the Sennheiser might be just as good. If you get the Rode, and you’re planning some outdoor shooting, also order the DeadCat windmuff for $39. True, the VideoMic has a foam windscreen, but for outdoor work, a windmuff is a good accessory.

Hope this helped, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

I was just looking at a photo of your mic adapter, the VMC K100. On that unit are the words "PLUG IN POWER". So apparently this adapter is getting a voltage from the hotshoe, and feeding it to the mic. If the VMC K100 came with an instruction manual, see if there are restrictions as to what mics can be used. I wouldn’t want you to ruin a $150 mic because of an odd mic adapter. (I suppose you could put a piece of electricians tape on the hotshoe, to insulate it from the adapter, but then….how to get the audio signal to the camcorder πŸ˜• .) You might be stuck with getting a Sony mic made for use with this apdapter.

Good luck, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Inactive

the manual looks like I should be able to use the VideoMic, which I got off ebay with the dadcat wind cover. Great price. thanks for help

Participant

I give my vote to Sennheiser.

Shoot-It-Yourself Wedding Video Guide

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors β€” 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap