HXR-MC2000E / AVCHD & iMovie Problems!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi there, new to this forum, hopefully in the future I will be able to help others!

Anyways, I bought a HXR-MC2000E which I intend to use for wedding videos, but on editing with iMovie, I have noticed the .MOV file which iMovie turns the AVCHD into, looks very choppy, which in turn comes out in the final DVD. The cam is recording in 50i which after my research seems to be 25fps. Is this the issue, or am I doing something wrong, or is the camera operating and working as it should?

I would love the video to be smooth after editing, but am I asking too much?

Participant

Canyou send us a sample ofyour choppy video? Also, try log and transfer ur footage to another non linear editing software, see if it works there. I’m not sure if there are settings on iMovie to know exactly what video codecyou are editing with. I think it’s most comfortable doing editing with a quicktime extension. Why notyou try using mpegstreamclip convert the raw files to HDV1080i50 first then put it once again into iMovie, see if it works.

Participant

Hi there, thanks for the reply. ?I have put a very short video on youtube for you to look at, if you look carefully between the peoples heads when I pan, there are ghosting/choppy artefacts. ?But this does not happen when I play the image back on the camera, just when it has been through the imovie wash!?

Participant

The following is a step by step guide on how to convert AVCHD 1080p 60 to iMovie more compatible video format at http://www.idealshare.net/imovie-fcp/avchd-imovie.html

This guide applies to:

Convert all kinds of AVCHD files for import AVCHD to iMovie 10.0 on Mac OS X Mavericks, or import AVCHD to iMovie iMovie '11, '09, '08 or HD.
      Convert and import AVCHD into iMovie for iOS like AVCHD to iMovie for iPad, AVCHD to iMovie for iPhone, AVCHD to iMovie for iPod.
      Convert AVCHD in .mts, m2t, m2ts to iMovie supported MP4, MOV, DV
      Convert AVCHD in 1080/60p, 1080/50p or 720/60p to iMovie video format
      Convert AVCHD from all kinds of cameras or camcorders like Panasonic Lumix G5, Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2, Panasonic DMC-G6, Panasonic HDC series camcorders, Canon XA20, Pana TZ7/ZS3, Sony HDR-PJ790, Sony A65, A99 etc Alpha DSLR(SLT) Cameras and etc.

Participant

iMovie did announce to work with AVCHD which is a camcorder video format used by a variety of camcorder manufacturers. However, it is easier said than done. If you want to import AVCHD into iMovie, you will need a Mac with an Intel-based Core Duo processor or better. Even meeting this requirement, there is still difficulty in importing some of AVCHD format to iMovie especially the high definition format 1080p recorded from Panasonic HDC-TM700, Canon HF S21, Sony HDR-AX2000, Panasonic AG-HMC150 or many other AVCHD camcorders.

Recommend a full guide about how to successfully import all kinds of AVCHD to iMovie.

Participant

iMovie '11 and earlier will transcode AVCHD into AIC, greatly increasing file size, reducing video quality and wasting a lot of time in the process. Though the new iMovie 13 can handle native AVCHD without transcoding, but the AVCHD clip play back from the timeline though may very choppy. You must have a fast GPU in order to effectively edit AVCHD or it will be annoying. So I think a solution to transcode AVCHD clips to AIC wihtout quality loss and size enlargement at fast conversion speed is a best option for iMovie 11.

http://www.aunsoft.com/mts-converter-mac/

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs for video — 2021

These are the best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs on the market today, organized by use case. All are worthy of your hard-earned dollar.
homicide-bootstrap