HVR Z7U Recording Backup

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I’m really knew to digital video recording.  I chose the Z7U so I could record without tape.  The idea of backup is important, too.  What device does anyone recommend for backup recording–probably in the field as well as in venues with AC available.  Thank you.

Participant

I’m an amateur just asking questions:  Isn’t this Digital Tape?  The MSProDuo is for still images.  I think the only option is to stream to a computer with firewire.

The Z7U will record still photos to Memory Stick.  It will also record video to CompactFlash memory cards.  I was asking for some device to record a “second” or backup video on some sort of memory card or flash memory or …

Participant

Does the Z7U have HDMI out?  If so, you can look into the Atomos Ninja recorder.  If not, there’s always the firewire to one external recorders from Focus Enhancements.

Ken…Many thanks for the “pointers.”  Just the kind of information for which I was seeking!

Ken…Another thought–hard disk speed.  Along the way, I’ve read “use 7200 rpm,” or thereabouts, “for HDV–nothing slower.”  The Ninja and Focus units are much slower.  Any idea if they will have trouble recording, or…?  Thanks!!

Participant

The recommended travel drives for the ‘Ninja’ are solid state or fast (7200 RPM) hard drives (though smaller SSDs don’t seem to work as well- I’ve read that ideal minimum size is over 120GB).

For the Focus- they are working with significantly less data throughput, at least as compared with HDMI.  I know folks who’ve been using the ‘Firestore’ for years now and seem pretty happy with the overall performance.

Ken…Many thanks, again, for your comments.  It sounds like either of these devices will do the work.

Participant

Hope it helps- it took years of reading/lurking around these forums (after owning a bunch of the Videomaker training DVDs) to join.  It’s good to be able to contribute something.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap