humming noise with Sony camcorders

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 16 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I like Sony products but have hit a snag with their camcorders. My old TRV 82 became unusable and unfixable when I could not close the cassette door. It did not make a noise when videoing.
      I shopped for a new one and chose the Digital 8 TRV 460. In the Camera Tape Mode in Standby and Record there is a constant humming sound when you look through the viewfinder. The noise is not enough to be recorded on the tape. There is no noise in the Playback/Edit Mode.
      I tried the display model at the store and got the same noise. I also tried the Mini DV HC 40 and got the same noise. I did not try the HC 42 but I think I will get the same noise. What is happening? I know I could use the LCD when videoing and not hear the noise but I prefer to use the viewfinder when vidoeing. Any suggestions?

Participant

All camcorders make a humming sound in the Record, Paused or Standby modes. Probably when it is in the Playback mode, it is not Paused? If it is Stopped then the head motor is not spinning with the tape wrapped around it. In those other modes the tape is wrapped around a spinning head drum and humming is what you will hear.

If it is not loud enough for the microphone to pick it up and record it I would suggest that you get ear plugs if it bothers you that much?

Until they develop recorders with no moving parts you will have some humming when they are running.

Dave

Inactive

Thanks for the info. My TRV 82 did not make the kind of humming noise I hear when looking through the viewfinder of the Sony TRV 460 and Sony HC-40.
      Ray

Participant

I can only speculate about your TRV 82 but it certainly had to make some noise? Probably the newer camcorders make more noise because they cost less than the old models did, in inflation adjusted currency. They probably aren’t soundproofed as well as the old models? Since they are trying to make the new ones as small as possible, there probably isn’t any room for sound proofing?

I am amazed that the built-in Mic doesn’t pick up the noise and record it, if these things are making that much noise. As long as it is not being recorded, who cares how much noise it makes? I am sure you can get used to it? You will have to because there isn’t anything you can do to make them quieter.

Maybe I don’t understand what you are hearing? Why should using the LCD be any quieter than using the viewfinder? The only difference I can visualize is that you would hold the camcorder a little further from your ears? But the camcorder would still make the same amount of noise.

You might have too good of hearing? I served a few years in the US Army and the rifle and cannon fire ruined my hearing. I hear constant ringing and high frequency tones inside my head 100% of my waking hours. It is just something I have had to get used to. But maybe it masks the little things that annoy people that still have good hearing?

Dave

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap