How would you like this scene. Please help newbie

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am producting this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrTjQM0RvZM

ButI need to do it with proper lighting, so it would look profesionally done.Could you please help with with some advice as to what lights would you use, and how should Ilight this scene?.

I have budget to rent lights and eventually we will buy our own, I think the company will be willing to spend some $700.00 to buy lights. So if you have suggestions on lights I should rent/buy please let me know

thank you so much

This particular test was shoot using a homedepot light, and it was situated some 6 feet tall and right behind the camera.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/be/be94fe1a-1c2f-4310-8439-656c2e41f954_400.jpg

I am using this camera:
      http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yiJNqmck-l4/TPaixGEuZdI/AAAAAAAAAHk/R8nMqF1JGSA/s1600/Sony_HVR-V1U_camcorder-angle-1158674206776-440_330-1.jpg

Participant

I think if you use lights other than what they have there it will be tuff not to get them in the shot with the mirrors unless you can hang some from the ceiling. You cold have a key light or main light to the dancers left and hang a fill light from the ceiling. You would have to watch for your composition and not get them in the shot. If you notice in the reflection there appears to be a security camera hanging from the ceiling. If I am not mistaken, is that sunlight on the floor? If it is, you may be able to get away with using reflectors to better light your subject.

Chuck PetersChuck Peters
      Participant

I think it looks great. The natural/available light in the room seems to be giving you nice, even light, and the skin tones & color in the floor both look good. — The large mirrored wall is going to be a huge problem if you try to use video lights. — Even reflectors will be a problem, so I would go with 100% available light. The room look like it’s lit with daylight streaming through a large window, if so, I’d recommend scouting it & shooting a few tests at different times of the day. You may find that the room looks very different at 10am then it does at 4pm, for instance, and one of those times might give you exactly the warm color tones you are hoping to add with lamps. — If that IS the case… you’ll also need to be keenly aware of the changing light conditions as the sun moves throughout the duration of your shoot. — You may find that you only have an hour or 2 of peak lighting each day.

To spice things up and add the professionalism you are talking about, I’d recommend adding a few different camera angles… the WS you show id great for dancing, but you would add a lot of interest by also incorporating a head & shoulders CU as he talks, maybe a few tight shots of his feet as he dances, and some graphic slates to break what’s now a single, long lock-down shot into several shorter segments.

I would also recommend getting him out of black clothing. With the white walls in that room, his dark wardrobe is creating a high contrast look that’s tough for your camcorder to deal with. If you can put him in neutral colors (blue, tan, brown, even gray) you’ll find that you’ll see a lot more detail in his clothes and they won’t get “muddy.”

Looks like a fun project! Hope it goes well.

~cp

Participant

Am I missing something? You are asking how to light it but it’s already shot. Looks fine for it’s need. I mean you don’t want to halogen lights when you can grab affordable lighting on sites like Banhphoto.com but all in all, coupled with existing lighting in the room, I really don’t see a need to add to the budget unless the budget allows.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap