How would I back up a RAID 0 Caldigit VR Drive?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing How would I back up a RAID 0 Caldigit VR Drive?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

How would I back up a RAID 0 Caldigit VR Drive?

Participant

How many TBs of data do you have?

If you have it set up for 2TB (two 1TB drives), I would use Disc Utility or ChronoSync to copy all the data from your RAID to a 2TB drive, and I would copy it to two 2TB drives for safety.

If you have more than 2TB, consider a Drobo for a backup system. We have one at work, and it was kind of a nuisance at first, but once you learn how to troubleshoot the device it’s good to go.

Inactive

Well right now, I am setting up a RAID Hard Drive Storage System for my 17″ MacBook Pro Laptop. I found out that I can’t run a RAID 5, so I have to settle for a RAID 0 or RAID 1. I am deciding between The 4TB G-Raid External Hard Drive and the 4TB Caldigit VR External Hard Drive. Safe Harbor is having a sale on the Caldigit VR for $599 and the Reg. Price is $850. I am new to setting up a computer workflow, so I am trying to get some research done on this. I have read many articles on RAID Systems, I just don’t like RAID 0, because if your drive fails, there goes your stuff, I want to be protected. I also have heard, Oh you are wasting your RAID System if you are RAID 1. So I would like to be able to run RAID 0 with my Caldigit VR and have another hard drive or something to backup all of my Files up from my Caldigit VR. I was thinking, should I get 2 Caldigit VRs, have them set up, where both VRs have the same Files? I do admit I am good at TV/Video Production, but I am a rookie when it comes up to creating a computer workflow. If you have any suggestions Rob or anybody else that would be Great! If you need more info from me that would be good to. Thank you for your help!

Participant

Why can’t you run RAID 5?

With RAID 0, you will want a daily backup system. So buy your Caldigit VR and get a Drobo. Use Carbon Copy Cloner, which I think is free, to backup your RAID every day.

Inactive

I was looking at the G-SPEED ES 8TB Hard Drive RAID System, it is RAID 5. Well I called the Viddoguys.com to see if it would work with my MacBook Pro, they said the G-Speed ES RAID 5 would not work because of the connections. That is what was explained to me, I don’t know if that is 100 % True, but that is what the Videoguys said to me. What kind of Drobo? How would it work with the 4 TB Caldigit VR? What is a Carbon Copy Cloner, How does it work with The Mac, Caldigit VR, and the Drobo? I hope these questions don’t seem to obvious, but like I said I am rookie at this. The nice thing about the Caldigit VR is I can replace the hard drive modules, so I was also thinking of getting 2 more 2TB hard drive modules, so I could hot swap and have more storage space.

Participant

The G-Speed ES requires an eSATA connection. If you have a Macbook Pro that still has the Express Slot, you can get an eSATA adapter that turns your Express Slot into an eSATA connection.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/EXP34SATA2P1/

I would get just a regular Drobo or the Drobo S. What you would do is connect your CalDigit to your Mac. Then connect the Drobo to your Mac or daisy chain it to your Cal Digit. Your computer should recognize both storage masses.

Carbon Copy Cloner can be set up to scan the CalDigit and Drobo on a daily basis. If it sees anything new on the CalDigit, it will copy it to the Drobo.

I dunno if I’d get 2TB drives for my RAID. I haven’t done much research, but I haven’t seen any that are 7200rpm. The highest capacity I’ve seen at that speed is 1.5TB. 2TB drives will be fine for the Drobo though.

Inactive

Is the Drobo S Raid 0, 1, or 5? How is it Configured? I looked up the speeds on each hard drive. The Caldigit VR is 7200rpm. I noticed on the Drobo S, the speed is 5900 rpm on the Western Digital and Seagate Hard drives. The Drobo S does have my attention for sure, but I need some more info. I called Robotics and asked them some questions they answered some of them, but I do admit I still in the fog a little bit. Thank you for the link to the esata card and to Carbon Copy Cloner!

Inactive

I like that there is Data Protection on the Drobo S. How is there Data Protection for it thou? How is it set up for that? Is there any mobile enclosure that I could take out in the field with me from Drobe or data robotics? I was thinking, if I got the Drobo S, I wouldn’t really need the Caldigit VR. What is your impression on the speed differences thou with the Drobo S and the Caldigit VR?

Participant

Well your Drobo will come with a piece of software called Drobo Dashboard. One of the things this software allows you to do is configure the set up. You can set it up as one large storage mass, one large mass with protection against a drive failure, or JOBD (your computer reads all discs individually). I would set up your Drobo for the disc failure protection. The way they protect data is proprietary though. So I’m not sure exactly how they do it.

I dont think Drobo has anything you can take out in the field with you. Drobos are designed for data storage and backup only.

You will still need the CalDigit if you get a Drobo. Drobos are not made for editing. In fact, they slow down as as they become more full. This is why they are safe. They are designed for data safety only – not performance.

Make sure that eSATA card I linked to you actually works with your computer though. The latest models of the Macbook Pro do not has ExpressCard slots (unless you have the 17″) and you will not be able to use that eSATA card.

Participant

Well your Drobo will come with a piece of software called Drobo Dashboard. One of the things this software allows you to do is configure the set up. You can set it up as one large storage mass, one large mass with protection against a drive failure, or JOBD (your computer reads all discs individually). I would set up your Drobo for the disc failure protection. The way they protect data is proprietary though. So I’m not sure exactly how they do it.

I dont think Drobo has anything you can take out in the field with you. Drobos are designed for data storage and backup only.

You will still need the CalDigit if you get a Drobo. Drobos are not made for editing. In fact, they slow down as as they become more full. This is why they are safe. They are designed for data safety only – not performance.

Make sure that eSATA card I linked to you actually works with your computer though. The latest models of the Macbook Pro do not has ExpressCard slots (unless you have the 17″) and you will not be able to use that eSATA card.

Inactive

I have the 17″ and has the Express Card Slot. It is funny thou, when I picked my MacBook Pro out, trying to decide which size to get, I didn’t even consider if it had an Express Card Slot, because I didn’t know that I needed it, so I got Lucky on that aspect. When i talked to the company, Data Robotics about the Drobo, the Lady was like oh you need the Drobo S, because it was made for people working in Video. So I then asked if I needed any other Hard Drive, she was like no, you can just use the Drobo S for everything. That is funny, because sometimes I don’t think these sales reps have all the knowledge out there that they need to know about their products. I trust you Rob more than what she said. That is good to know about the Drobo thou.

Participant

Maybe you can use the Drobo S for video, but I would almost bet that you’d have to set it up without the drive failure protection, which defeats the purpose of you getting a Drobo in the first place.

We have a Drobo Pro at work, so I can tell you from experience that they get pretty slow.

I hope it works out well for ya though

Inactive

I got this answer from Creative Cow, I like his idea, what do you think about his idea?

Definitely don’t use Raid 1. That’s a total waste of your hardware resources and money.

So, use the VR (great piece of equipment BTW) for all it’s worth at it’s highest performance level, which is Raid 0. The performance of the VR will vastly improve your day to day editing experience and will get you the most value for your dollars.

For backup, you don’t need Carbon Copy Cloner, just copy your media files to inexpensive bare 500Gb or 1Tb SATA drives that you hookup to a USB “universal drive adapter,” like the one at the following link:http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U2NV2SPATA/. Of course, make sure you format the drives as Mac Extended, and when full, just put them on the self for safe keeping.

This works perfectly and it is the best value by far. Got it?

David

Participant

I agree about not using RAID 1 on the VR. RAID 1 is designed for backup since it makes 2 copies of whatever you load to your RAID. RAID 1 is for safety, RAID 0 is for high performance, RAID 5 is a balance between safety and speed. So I agree…RAID 0 for your Caldigit VR.

About Carbon Copy Cloner…I suggested CCC because you said you’re going to get a 4TB VR. That sounds like a hefty amount of data to me. So the combo of CCC and a Drobo is safe and you don’t have to worry about taking the time to back up all that data as CCC can be schedule to automatically do it for you.

If you are always capturing new footage and bringing in new media for new projects, then I personally think CCC and a Drobo is a convenient set up. However if you don’t spend a lot of time doing video or work on a few large projects instead of many little projects, then maybe the bare enclosures are all you need. It depends how much work you are doing I think.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap