How to transfer Hi 8 to PC?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi everyone. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to transfer footage from a Hi8 camcorder to a PC. My camera has an S video out and an A/V out. The A/V out is kinda like a headphone jack. I guess I need anS video toUSB or anA/V to USB cable. Does such a cable exist??

Thank you!!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

You’ll need some type of conversion box/software to convert the analog HI-8 to a digital file.
      Many NLE’s will do it or if you have a Digital-8 camera you should be able to play HI-8 tapes and download it to your computer.

Pinnacle and Avid are two NLE that come with boxes that will connect your camera to your computer.
      Avid = $$$$
      Pinnacle = somewhat buggy software

There are many options out there for you so look around.

brandon0409
      Participant

Honestly, I have never seen or heard of any such cables to exist.

There are, pretty much, only two easy ways to do this.

1. Buy (borrow) a camera with a pass through function on it. I own a SONY DCR-VX2100 and it has s-video and A/V. Now I know this is probably an expensive alternative but Many of the JVC MiniDV cams have the passthrough function. You could go on Ebay and probably find one for cheap ($100 or less).

2. Go to an electronics store like Best Buy/CompUSA/Circuit City/Etc. and buy a video convert/download package. For example “Dazzal” is a company that used to do alot of this type of hardware. Now days, there are PC cards that allow you do this. Just go to one of these electronics store and ask them what you need. Even if you don’t buy, you can at least see what’s currently available. Then go on the internet and find it cheaper.

Good luck.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I use to like the new forum but these

<p style=”margin-bottom: 0in”> Is driving me crazy.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Honestly, I have never seen or heard of any such cables to exist. There are, pretty much, only two easy ways to do this. 1. Buy (borrow) a camera with a pass through function on it. I own a SONY DCR-VX2100 and it has s-video and A/V. Now I know this is probably an expensive alternative but Many of the JVC MiniDV cams have the passthrough function. You could go on Ebay and probably find one for cheap ($100 or less). 2. Go to an electronics store like Best Buy/CompUSA/Circuit City/Etc. and buy a video convert/download package. For example “Dazzal” is a company that used to do alot of this type of hardware. Now days, there are PC cards that allow you do this. Just go to one of these electronics store and ask them what you need. Even if you don’t buy, you can at least see what’s currently available. Then go on the internet and find it cheaper. Good luck.

I have a Sony PD170, which is pretty much the same camera as a 2100. I’ll have to research that option. How does the passthrough function work?

Thanks!

brandon0409
      Participant

Read the user manual. In my manual it is titled something like, “Recording from VCR“. Check it and and see what you find.

DrAW
      Participant

I have used Plextor and Dazzle (Pinnacle Studio) both do well… but I agree that Pinnacle is a bit buggy and can crash if you go doing fancy stuff. Both under $150 …

DrAW

Anonymous
      Inactive

Some digital Hi8 camcorders will play analog hi8 tapes. Some can also let you capture analog footage via firewire. I need to capture alot of footage myself and have been researching this. I found an excel worksheet that told you what camcorders played what formats. Be careful because many digital hi8 camcorders won’t play analouge tapes. I think the ones that do will let you transfer analog tapes to digital though. Check this out, it has a bunch of links to other topics on this as well.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t139554.html

Hope this helps!

Anonymous
      Inactive

take a look at canopus (grass valley) at the advc line of converters. you’ll be glad you did.

faqvideo
      Participant

Some PC have built-in video cards (i.e. ATI A-I-W) with video inputs. If you don’t have standard video inputs on your PC, you may use USB digitizing device (i.e. Voyetra, Plextor). Or use professional service (i.e. http://www.worldvideo.ca).

Shoot-It-Yourself Wedding Video

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Miscellaneous Techniques’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.