How to successfully import a DVD

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

If you’re like me, you periodically have to import a DVD.

The problem has always been the short gap in the audio and video at the VOB break points.There are a variety of ways to work around this but now, thanks to Gary
      James on the Sony Vegas forum, there’s a MUCH better and easier way.I’ll quote his post verbatim.

Vegas allows you to open up a DVD .IFO file. This imports the entire .VOB chain for both video and audio tracks.

Click File / Open, then navigate to your VIDEO_TS sub directory and
      enter *.IFO in the File name input field. For a regular DVD you will see
      a VIDEO_TS.IFO, and a VTS_01_0.IFO. Select the VTS_01_0.IFO file and
      click on Open. Don’t try this on a DVD disk because Vegas will try to
      build an .sfk file containing audio peaks in the VIDEO_TS directory.

Mike

Participant

Great info Mike! Thanks!

This will solve a big problem for many!

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Do you know which versions of Vegas support that feature?

Participant

I’ve used it successfully on Pro 8, 9 and 10 but I see no reason why it won’t work on all versions of Vegas from 6.0 onwards, Movie Studio included as this was when Sony introduced the DVD Import option.

Mike

I found a similar tutorial on Google which will give you some hint. Good luck!
      http://multiply-video-formats-solution.over-blog.com/2015/10/how-to-open-vob-files-in-sony-movie-studio-timeline.html

Participant

For me I’ve found the best way is to hook a DVD player up by component, s-video or composite (depending on how the disc was recorded in the first place) to an A/D converter and record it in the codec I need. I’ve tried a couple of software rippers, and even just importing the VOB’s right into Premiere Pro, and I always end up with either just 10 seconds of footage from each VOB or extremely choppy and out of sync audio, or in one case every other frame was converted as an all green frame (even though when I play the file through QuickTime or Media Player it’ll play fine.

Mac The ripper. Then Handbrake to convert the ripped file to a M4v or Mp4 or MOV

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap