How to remove vocals from a trailer song?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing How to remove vocals from a trailer song?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

hello there, I was wondering if I could remove vocals from a trailer song, now before you tell me, it’s not possible, well, this guy on youtube called TheScriptTV did it, an example is below

Rise of the planet of the apes trailer music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udeMxU6wymg

so I emailed him and asked how he did, he was not keen on revealing on how he did it, but said he used Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and bypassed the vocals, not REMOVED, but bypassed, and yet he removed the vocalseffectivelyand has the complete trailer song, does anyone know how he did this? I would appreciate any help anyone could give me

Participant

I think the kid is messin with you, man.

Participant

I am unfamiliar with the above song, but I have read that it is possible to remove or greatly reduce the vocal of a song if:

– You have a high quality stereo version

– The solo is in the center so it appears equally on both channels

You restrict the frequency range of one channel as much as possible to that of the vocal using band pass filter(s). You then phase invert one of the channels and add them together. The idea is the phase-inverted vocals in both channels cancel each other leaving the music.

I believe this is a lot easier said than done. I have never done it personally, but I have accidentally removed the soloist by combining stereo channels into one mono channel in the early days when recordists were less careful about center channel phasing.

An easier way is to find a karaoke version of the song. Jaimie

Participant

Sound Forge Audio Studio (about $65) claims to be able to do this.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/audiostudio

Create your own karaoke tracks

Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 software includes the Vocal Eraser plug-in. Easily remove vocals from most recordings, or isolate and extract vocal tracks from songs for remixing. The Vocal Eraser plug-in contains presets for various genres and vocal types.

Participant

so, how do I go about doing this, I’ve tried what you told me, but nothing happens, what EXACT effects do I have to use in Premiere Pro to get this effect and is there videos out there that go in depth about frequency ranges and band pass filters

Participant

dude, you can’t remove vocals if it’s mixed. It’s just not gonna happen.

Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cazfGUNs6UI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYO7Fj5BORM&feature=fvwrel

Participant

I just tried the Audacity solution on Aerosmith’s Dream On – I am amazed!

It worked just like the video showed and very well – I will be using this technique in the future.

Participant

Kind of like removing the smell from a …a…a…wet dog, yeah a wet dog. You can put an air freashener between you and the dog, likely smell roses first but the smell is still going to linger.

Participant

There are many times I would like to use a snippet of an instrumental version of a song but don’t have access to it (I have many karaoke CD’s for this reason). This will make that task a whole lot easier. Won’t work for all songs and certainly not as a solo, but for background under narration this will do well.

Participant

think of all the folks who just wanna dial in one room noise and delete it. They spend hours with a parmentric eq to find it then find success. (whew)

Then think of all the different frequences in a vocal track mixed with everything else. I’ve been mixing sound since the early 80s. If deleting one thing (or millions of things in this case)on a mixed track were easy, we’d have no need for music libraries or composers.

Try the program from http://www.audionamix.com

Participant

The physics involved sets the success. The physics is very simple. You take the left channel, and then add the waveform of the right channel upside down.

If the recording is of a person speaking recorded with one microphone, and they are of the very left hand side so all their voice comes from the left channel, and there is nothing in the right – then when you add them together you get a mono recording with full voice. Mover them right and repeat, and the same thing happens, dispite that channel being flipped upside down. However, if they are exactly equal – as in when the subject is right in the middle – flipping one upside down exactly cancels out the original. Think of a sine wave shape – if in the left channel it starts by going up, but on the right it starts by going down, then adding them together produces perfect cancellation.

In a music track – the bass might be a bit to the left, the piano a bit to the right, and the voice dead centre. Do the flip and combine trick and the piano and bass will still be there but the voice has magicaly vanished.

Now the problem. Voices will usually be treated in the recording – reverb and other effects. If the reverb added to the voice is in mono – equally split left and right, then it too gets cancelled. The problem comes that now people use stereo reverb, often modelling real buildings or types of location, and the reverb is different so it sounds more real. This means the cancellation will not be complete – and a common result is that the voic e gets cut, but leaves a ghostly reverb sound. You will of course also cancel any other sounds that appear central. This is different on every recording. They will be mixed to sound good, not to cancel properly. Some systems to cancel vocals really are as simple as flip and add, while others add in filtering so that the cancellation is more in the speach range – 250Hz to maybe 4KHz or so. Others use variable phasing to allow the cancellation to be optimised. Duets of course rarely work as the two voices will be spaced apart and if you cancel one, the other gets through. 

The conclusion of all this is that NO voice canceller is guaranteed to work. It really depends on how the recording was done. Early Beatles rcordings nearly always fail, and early Elton John were well known for leaving a ghostly Elton very present in the mix.

A trailer song is just a song really – and some may be available as ready made tracks. If they are, I'd simply buy it – too much effort and too variable quality to try to remove the bit you don't want. Even the best ones will remove bits you would rather have kept – making the end result weak in mamny cases.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses — 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap