How to get rid of sun glare from ocean?

• This topic has 3 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I mostly film the extreme sport of surfing. A problem with this is when the sun is at a certain angle, it creates real bad glare off of the ocean and it ruins the quality of the shot. In this video there are some examples of this like at 00:52.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mgL2Gwu9X8.

Does anybody know how I can get rid of the glare, would i have to use a lens filter? Right now I am just using a Canon HG10 with a cmos sensor, but if I wanted to upgrade to a prosumer camera later on what would be a good camera and what type, a cmos or ccd?

Thank you for time and answers, much appreciated!

Some variation of a polarizing filter – half and half, twist and turn or solid – perhaps.

Inactive

ok, thats what I thought to.

What kind of prosumer camera would you recommend for filming surfing?

I currently use Canon XL1 and GL2 standard def camcorders – have been for nearly 10 years now. This year, unless something really different, uniquely superior and affordable comes along before I drop the coin, I will be purchasing a pair of each of the following: Canon HV30 (low end, backup and extra POV cams – est. $600) using MiniDV tape for HDV acqusition – a compressed form of HD; and Panasonic AG-HMC150 AVCCAM using SD and SDHC cards instead of tape (eventual primary cameras for compressed high def acqusition – est. $4K).

I would, and I am sure this goes without saying, but…, also give some thought to what kind of protective housings I want to use to keep sand, salt spray and water out of and off them. I have shot some competitions, iron man stuff, swimming, etc. at the Hunting Beach, California and surrounding areas. I used to have a PVC flexible type housing for the XL1, but it didn’t last as long as it should have for the price. I now keep a supply of heavy duty plastic bags on hand and some gaffers tape, cutting holes to the viewfinder and lense, and taping securely around these openings, also around the monopod I almost always use. The flexible bags are disposable, functional, they work and they are cheaper than any commercial housing out there that I can find (So what if they’re not aesthetically pleasing or professional looking – who cares, most of the people there, and clients, are only interested in the event or the results on tape, right?) The main thing is this works, and works well, and it is easy to operate the controls with the flexible plastic, even moreso than with the PVC jacket.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap