How to get (or produce) original music for TV show

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Miscellaneous Techniques How to get (or produce) original music for TV show

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello, I hope you can help me:

Im an independent TV producer and Im looking forward to sell my travelling show toa cable TV station. The thing is that I need original music, not the commercial one, but Id like to know your suggestions about buying it from an onlinelibrary or producing it with an audio software.

Im on a tight budget and I know Id save some $ if I make it but Id like the quality to be as good as if Id bought it. Is it possible?Ive never done it before.

Ill appreciate yoursuggestions

Participant

Register with Digital Juice (http://www.digitaljuice.com – free) and you can download 19 of their StackTraxx Royalty Free selections in MP3 format for free.

Acess,

If you’re wanting to do full compositions, stingers or loops Sony Acid is a great music creation tool. They also have a great library of royalty-free music at reasonable prices. The great thing about Acid is you can mix different audio formats on the same timeline and you don’t have to be a musician to do it. Acid comes in two flavors, Pro and Studio. The Pro version is just that and Studio is ‘novice friendly’ but still has enough features to take you where you want to go creatively. It’s also less expensive than Pro. The only drawback is it’s PC only software so if you are a mac weenie you’ll have to use your Bootcamped Win partition to use it.

Participant

Hey acess.

I’m a composer might already have enough music for you already made or be able to do something for you for something like this. Check out my website: http://www.mattcoreyproductions.com and email me if you want?

Participant

DeWolfemusic.com is yer buddy. They use studio musicians so it never saounds like canned library music created by a multitracked keyboard and they haggle. They’ll let you pay one blanket fee per production. It really helps creativity to not have to count needle drops as you edit.

Participant

“DeWolfemusic.com is yer buddy. They use studio musicians so it never saounds like canned library music created by a multitracked keyboard and they haggle. They’ll let you pay one blanket fee per production. It really helps creativity to not have to count needle drops as you edit.”

Wow! I’d have to give you big credit for posting this on here. It also looks like some (or most) of it is free. Not saying it will become the next answer to the right music for the ENG/corporate pros, but it’s definitely unlike some of the cheesysound affects that you get from Google searches when trying tofind the right sounds.

Participant

You are welcome. I don’t know of any clips that are free but none of them are expensive. They are by far the best music library today.

Inactive

Thanks guys, Im gonna try your suggestions and Ill let you know my impressions, and Im still open to hear more of em to determine which will work for me.

One more thing (or two), do I have to include the name and the author of every song at the end of each show or is it just optional? And… with the options you gave me I assume I wont have any legal problems using this productions everytime I want or how does it work?

Participant

Short answer is it depends on the EULA. Most broadcast outlets will ask you for a cue sheet with the pertinent info so they (not you) can pay ASCAP/BMI residuals if there are any.

Inactive

Thanks Birdcat, you’ve been a great help, but could you explain a little more on this? I’m selling the rights of my show in the US but will try to sell itto a EuropeanTV stationas well. I asume I’d have to have the music rights too. Am I right?

Participant

Hi Acess –

Royalty-free (and other forms) of music have specific licensing agreements for their use and broadcast. For example, you can see Digital Juice’s End User License Agreement (EULA) for their StackTraxx products here: http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/product_docs.asp?docid=48– Note the “Blanket-License Exception” paragraph.

You would need to follow these (or similar) directions depending on the source and EULA of each piece of music you used in you production.

Of course, if you created your own music (all: wrote, performed and recorded it yourself) you would not need to provide any information unless you wanted to.

Also be aware there are many forms of music licensing (not just royalty free) so make sure you follow the EULA of each piece.

Good luck.

Inactive

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP, I’LL LOOK CLOSELY FOR THIS INFO.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap