How to Edit and Transfer Data in Video Camera with MiniDV

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing How to Edit and Transfer Data in Video Camera with MiniDV

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello, Sorry to disturb you all. I am newbie here.

Recently, I recorded a conference using Video Camera with MiniDV. It is about 60 minutes in duration.

I would like to edit the video so that I could eliminate some parts before sending for other party. May I know how could I edit? What should I do to start? I apologize if my question sounds so silly, please forgive me.

Another question is I will transfer the video (from Video Camera to computer because I have to return the MiniDV to its owner) using a public computer in my school. How could I copy the video to my home computer? I guess the size is quite big and I have no idea how could I transfer the whole video from school computer to my home computer.

Please give me suggestions, please, please. I promise I will do my best. Please forgive me if I post in wrong place.

Inactive

The other possibility is to burn a DVD in HQ mode( one hour vs two hour record time) which will produce excellent quality due to the higher bitrate. Most editing/DVD authoring software will allow you to import this directly from the drive.

Inactive

[quote="compusolver"]A sixty minute conference? Don’t edit it at all – sell it as a sleep aid! X-D

Have you seen that commercial where the guy’s on the phone to his surgeon, holding a knife and receiving instructions on where to begin the incision on himself? That’s sort of the position you’re in.

My advice would be to call your local wedding videographer (because he’ll be cheaper than a standard video production company). It’ll probably cost you a hundred or so, but it will be worth it.

If you’re determined to DIY, you’ll need a firewire cable and probably some help from a knowledgable video person who can be there with you.[/quote]

Hi, Compusolver, thank you very much for your reply, appreciate.

May I ask? I should edit the video before burn to DVD or vice versa?
      After burning to DVD, could I still edit the video?
      Final question, do you mean it is very difficult to edit a video and it is impossible for a newbie like me?
      Hope to hear you, please. Please forgive me for my stupidness.

Inactive

[quote="KBVP"]The other possibility is to burn a DVD in HQ mode( one hour vs two hour record time) which will produce excellent quality due to the higher bitrate. Most editing/DVD authoring software will allow you to import this directly from the drive.[/quote]

Hi, KBVP, thanks so much for your reply.

May I know what is HQ mode?

I am sorry, please forgive me, I dont understand your last sentence "Most editing/DVD authoring software will allow you to import this directly from the drive.", could you please elaborate?

Inactive

Hi, Campusolver, thanks again for your advice. I will try that first and will let you know how I am doing.

Inactive

I addressed the second issue- making a copy before sending the DV tape back. Once you get the DVD made, you can put it into your PC’s DVD-ROM drive and save it to the Hard Drive or even copy it back to a DV tape, editing out what you don’t want. From there, you can edit it. Most any of your friends can make the DVD for you.
      The DVD recorder’s HQ mode is for "High Quality" and records more of the image information than other record modes.
      I think it’s a better idea to make a copy of the master before editing. You may change your mind and want a clip of video you edited out of the tape.

Inactive

Hi Cindy,

I don’t want to set you on the wrong path, but I’ve been told that the built-in Windows Movie Maker has acceptable tools for editing video. If you have a newer PC, it might already be installed on your system, as it comes standard with the new versions of Windows XP. Movie maker comes with a step by step guide in their help section.

If you go this route, you will have to, as Compusolver said, buy the Firewire cable (also called an "iLink" or "IEEE1394" cable) and you’ll need to have a Firewire port on your computer (they may look sort of like a USB cable, but they definitely are not the same thing!)

Again, I think compusolver gave you great advice when he said just pay a videographer to do it. It should cost you $100 or less for an hour, and maybe the others in te conference would be interested in chipping in to have the video professionally edited. Plus, Windows Movie Maker is a low-quality editing application, and while for a simple cut-n-paste job it would be adequate, a pro videographer will give you a lot better quality.

Inactive

Is there a "best of bred" software in windows XP Editing in your opinion?

All thought welcome – except compusolver who would state..pay some one else to do it.

After all isn’t that what’s he’s here for: Comic relief

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap