How to default transitions

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hellow, I’m new here

I’d like to migrate from Premiere to Vegas and now i try Vegas Pro 11.

My question is what is the easiest way to default a video and an audio transition (in fact i couldn’t find such thing as audio trans) with different frame length for the video and the audio and to put them between the selected clips in the timeline. The clips are adjacent, cut/shrunk with enough room for the longer transition, not overlapped.

Some kind of a procedure, or a script?

Thanks in advance

Participant

If you have two clips on the timeline, drag the second over the first so there is a transition length to work with, then choose your transition and drag it to the section where the clips overlap.

If working with only one clip, create a fade in/out section at the beginning/end of the clip so there is a transition length to work with, then choose your transition and drag it to the fade you just created.

This works for audio & video alike.

Participant

This shows the two clips overlapped

This shows the tramsition

This shows a single clip with transition

Participant

Thanks,

Well, I have kind of 200 clips on the timeline, adjacent and cut/shrunk enough bothsides. How to place a 4frame video/1second audio crossfade between 50 clips?

Participant

Manually – I know, very tedious but if you know JavaScript, you could write a script to do it. Take a look at Ultimate S Pro (http://vasst.com/store/ultimate-s-pro-2.aspx) or Excalibur (http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur/home.php) and see if they have a script you could use.

If not, and you’re serious about this, let me know and I’ll put you in contact with some folks who write custom scripts for a fee.

Participant

Thanks again.

Can I move the transition – let’s say 2fr over the first, 6fr over the second clip?

Any idea for a ready script with a full control over transition options?

I still don’t want to order scripts as I’m not sure yet is it worth to migrate from Premiere, in which this excs is as easy as pie. I’d like to, as I like the rendering speed and the ATI GPU support, but I have to find how many scripts would I need for my usual work.

Participant

There are many free scripts out there – I just don’t think they’ll do what you are asking (frankly I don’t understand why you’d want a 4 frame video crossfade with a 30 frame audio crossfade – where do you center? and why 4 frames – that’s gonna be seen as a cut rather than crossfade it’s so short – 1/8 second @ 29.97 or 1/6 second @ 23.97)

Participant

4fr is a “soft” trans in 25fps. Sometimes I use “hard” trans of 2fr.

For longer trans sometimes I need individual position over the clips – 4fr first clip/12fr second, for exmpl.

At the same time I want a separate control over the audio crossfades.

Participant

Ok – Lemme see if I get what you’re asking. You want to fade out for four frames in clip one and fade in for 12 frames in clip 2? If so, then yes, Vegas can do this easily.

I still don’t get the 2 frame fade though – your eye is not gonna be able to discern between that and a plain old cut.

Participant

Well, the exact duration is a metter of choice.

Most importantis how todistribute andcontrol separately video/audio trans duration over multiple clips on the timeline.

Participant

I agree with birdcat in wondering why you’re doing such odd transitions.

Mike

Participant

Hi, Mike

I don’t think it’s odd. Niether do other NLE’s and videographers. Premiere wouldn’t do it just for me, or just for the excercise. In my work I use different length, simetric/nonsimetric positioning of transitions, separate audio transition control, and this job is a standart tool may be because a lot of people use it. Vegas does other things better andI like it, but at the same timeI’m looking for a way tokeep my style of editting.

Participant

Maybe if you were to post some example of your short fades we would understand more. One of the reasons motion pictures work is due to the fact that the eye cannot discern things of short duration (24fps looks like full motion when in fact it’s just 24 frames over a one second period).

I don’t see how a fade of two-four frames can look like anything but a cut – to the subconscious certainly but I have tried some of these myself and they didn’t look like crossfades to me at all – but that was my experiences, yours may be different.

Participant

langel, sorry but I do think it’s odd and I’ve been editing for over 30 years. Not bragging, just stating my background. The only time I would come close to doing something like this is if I wanted the audio or video to continue under a new piece of audio or video (j or L cut). As birdcat says, post some examples of what it is you’re doing so that we can better understand the rationale behind this technique. Thanks.

Mike

Participant

Excuse me Mike, I’m not bragging either.

j/L cuts are out of the question, Vegas does the job.

I don’t want to change your thinking, or editting style, and the question is not in the exact duration, but in the functionality, which is present in other NLEs – do you find them odd?

In my last comercial I have a video followed by stopmotion. I put a crossfade 10 fr over the video and over the the first frame of the stopmotion. Of course the final result can be achieved using other techniques, but at the moment I found its the quickest. Just an example. Clients don’t say odd or cute, but like or not.

Participant

langel, the only other NLE I’ve used was the dpsVelocity and a lot of it’s capabilities (with the exception of real time playback) pale in comparison to what I can do in Vegas.

I’d still be interested in seeing some examples of your work where you use the techniques discussed.

Mike

Participant

Hi Mike,

My question was is it possible to do what I want to do in Vegas.

I can do it in Premiere, but I like the speed of Vegas.

If I show you my work, will you give the answer?

Participant

langel, I think birdcat’s suggestion of a custom script is the way to go. I don’t write scripts myself but do know folks that do and I am always in awe of how quickly they can do it. I hope I don’t get in trouble for suggesting this but, if you haven’t already done so, I recommend that you post your question on the Sony Vegas forum in the hope that this is a simple scripting solution and that someone may do one for you at no charge. I’ve seen it happen numerous times as Vegas users are a very helpful community.

Mike

Participant

Thanks Mike,

I’ll try this.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap