How to Create MST3K Effect?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      pseudosafari

How would you go about creating the Mystery Science Theater 3000 look? Specifically, I have movies I created that I want to make a “spoof” of by showing the heads of people (family and friends) watching it in a theater and commenting on it.

Would you film it and use their silhouette (and, if so, how do you light it to keep the image 100% black but have a green screen (?) preserved in front of it?)?

Or do you animate it in Flash?

I could Photoshop a picture to put on top of the video, but then the characters wouldn’t move.

If you’re unfamiliar with MST3K, here’s a sample.

jerronsmith
      Participant

I believe in MST3K it was just an animated static graphic. You can create the graphic in Photoshop and then animate it in Photoshop, After Effects, Flash or whatever animation program you have.

From the animation program export either an image sequence with an alpha channel or video with an alpha channel. You should then be able to bring it into your NLE and just lay it over the video to produce the effect.

pseudosafari

Thanks–this gets me on the right track! I’ll give it a shot.

jerronsmith
      Participant

If you want to have a lot of motion in the effect you could also shoot people against a high contrast background and use then use a keying effect in a program like after effects to remove the background.

I have done that before using green and blue screens, but technically for the effect any background that contrasted with your actors, props, whatever in the foreground would work fine.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Miscellaneous Techniques’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.