How to capture SD video from JVC GR-HD1 to a Mac

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have video recorded in SD (MPEG2) mode on a JVC GR-HD1. I need to be able to capture it on a Mac. I’ve tried imovie and Final Cut Express HD and they tell me there is no video. It plays back fine on the camcorder. Any ideas?

Rob
      Participant

Can you explain to us in detail the process of how you attempted to capture video?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Rob,

I connect the camera via firewire cable.

In imovie 8, I go to “import from camera”, my camera shows up, I click on import, it says it’s importing, but no video shows up on the import screen, no recording time shows up in the record counter and if I stop it, no file is created.

In Final Cut Express HD, I start a new project then use one of the easy setup options. I use DV-NTSC Anamorphic for my other video camera. I tried setting it up with all the NTSC formats, there are nine of them. Then I go to capture. It finds my camera and says “VTR OK”. I click “capture now”, the camera starts playing but a message comes up, This operation could not be completed as there is no video.

Rob
      Participant

Can you see video playing in the Log and Capture window when you’re simply playing the tape and not trying to capture?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Only a blue screen showing in the capture window, but it finds the camera and controls it.

Rob
      Participant

In FCP there is a Clip Settings tab in the Log and Capture window that allows for enabling/disabling the capture of video or audio. If that tab is in FCE, see if those options are enabled.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses — 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN