How to be in two places at once…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

This is an interesting situation.

A couple of you know this, but one of the reasons I’m in videography is because the income allows me to work with a nonprofit organization that helps maintain the independence of the elderly and disabled. Not to sound too altruistic or anything, but basically my wife and I use our talent behind the camera to allow us to help keep good people in their homes.

Anyway, in a couple weeks here, I’m puting on a fundraiser for our agency. It’s known as "Comedy for a Cause ’06", and we’ve brought in a team of hilarious improv sketch artists to serve as the main entertainment (more info is at our website, here).

Anyway, On a Roll Video Productions, aside from giving out a gift certificate is also filming the event. My wife doesn’t have a role in the evening, so she’ll be manning one camera. However, I’m the MC for the evening, which means I’m not where I usually prefer to be, which is behind the camera.

So I have this unique situation. Do I set up my other three cameras in stationary shots, and pray that my wife catches all the important stuff during this fast-paced comedy night? Do I try to man a camera when I’m not on stage? Do I look for volunteers who may or may not be any good at camera work? Do I (gag) consider paying someone to run a camera for an hour?

Honestly, for what we’re doing, this thing is a great deal. The tickets cost less than a night at the movies, these guys do a clean comedy show, so the whole family will have fun, and there are hundreds of dollars in door prizes we’re going to give away. That being said, we actually want this event to build public awareness about our agency, and maybe even bring in some cash to help us get more help for the disabled and elderly. So we need a video, but at the same time, I don’t think I can pay someone to work. Maybe I should ask a pro to volunteer? I don’t know. That’s why I’m posting it here πŸ˜€

Participant

If you have three cameras maybe you could use one stationary at a wide shot to catch everthing. Let your wife do her best with the second and get a volunteer for the third that maybe could man it while your on stage. You could check in with him when you can. But, trying to do two things at once and do them well is always difficult. But I think if you leave the one camer wide you will have a safety net if they don’t catch everyting as you would have. Just a thought. Good luck.

Inactive

Jim,

I agree with Hank regarding an apprentice. How about from this angle? I am fortunate enough to have plenty of family and a lot of close friends in the area of which I do a lot for. In other words if I asked them for a favor they really couldnt say no (if you know what I mean). I would evaluate them and maybe ask your best candidate for help. I would think that someone wouldnt have any problem with that. Its not like your’re asking them to help you move a grand piano. You could probably sit down and teach that person the basics such as the general operation of the camera, framing and movements in about in hour or so. I wouldn’t trust them filming the next Spielberg movie but they might help you get through the jam youre in.

RAM

Inactive

if I asked them for a favor they really couldnt say no (if you know what I mean)

You’re in the Mafia?!??! πŸ˜€

Yeah, I hear you both. I’ve thought about taking on an aprentice in the past, but I guess it’s something I never put too much into myself. I may have to look into that.

As far as family goes, I live 450 miles away from all of my relatives, but my wife’s family isn’t too far away.

It’s not an end of the world problem. It’s mostly that I’m a control freak when it comes to video, and I want to be running that show while I’m running the other show. I should just take a chill pill and let it happen how it happens.

Thanks for ideas guys!

Participant

[quote="Video-maniac"]

if I asked them for a favor they really couldnt say no (if you know what I mean).

RAM[/quote]

RAM, are you going to make them an offer they can’t refuse πŸ˜›

Anyway, is there a local college or better university? You could go to the school and ask for a volunteer who is in a video program. Just a thought.

Beth

• Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders β€” 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
    homicide-bootstrap