How much would each person involved in a video be paid?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion How much would each person involved in a video be paid?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’m looking for a schedule or list of rates, which give suggested fees for what different persons involved in making a video would be paid. For example, how much would a narrator, writer, and researcher receive for their individual parts in the video? I’m sure your answers would vary, but what would you suggest would be the fair thing to do? I’m thinking that the amount of time (hours) a person spends doing their part would be the most significant, isn’t that so?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Participant

Helen,
      There may be no real answer to your question due to the number of variabilities. Consider your location, the intended distribution of your final product, the level of production (prosumer video to 35mm motion picture), the amount of experience or star power of the person hired for each of the positions, independent contractor or a whole production company. Narrators may be in the Screen Actors Guild, which defines minimum rates.

Most experienced professionals will provide a rate card that will break down their day rates. You can offer a flat fee for the whole project, or pay by the hour. You are also likely to be able to negotiate with some pros. Even big name Hollywood types occasionally do projects for little or no money because they believe in the project. You might also be able to offer participation points in the project (payment through partial ownership of the profits).

If you are looking to hire people for a smaller production or independent film, you may get help for free through sites such as Craigslist.org or a posting in a local newspaper. College bulletin boards are also good options.

Ultimately, you could pay from $0 to Millions for each crew or cast position. Decide on a budget that works for your production, then go from there. If you have to rearrange funds to court a certain person, then you can.

Hope this helps,

Participant

This may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_budgeting

The amount of budget may vary, but the percentages that each person involved is worth may help you out.

Participant

Thanks DaveArthur and Endeavor.

Dave, I’m independently producing a documentary and paying for the expenses out of my salary from my usual job. I’ve done research for the video and two persons are writing the script and one other is narrating. Endeavor, the wikipedia article mentioned calculating by percentages and this was helpful.

I see that it really does vary widely – all sorts of factors to take into consideration. Thanks again for your input.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap