How Much Should I Pay? 50 Short YouTube Clips…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am in the market for a video editor and before I approach people, I wanted to get a ballpark of the job cost. This is for a YouTube channel. I have 5 dance instructors, and each will be teaching 10 short how-to videos lasting about two minutes each. This will be for a total of 50 video clips, each of which is in the same how-to format.

All the shooting will take place on the same day. Each dancer will show up for their appointment, the video editor/videographer will shoot their footage, and they will leave.

Then the video editor/videographer will take the footage home, edit it, and give me the 50 clips on my hard drive.

What is a ballpark cost for this service? Keep in mind I will be approaching acquaintances who I met through the dance community, so pricing might not be as steep as if I were to hire services through the phone book.

Just a word to the wise, if you try and get ‘acquaintances in the dance community’ to do competent video work, you’re taking your chances. Also, if you try low-balling on Craigslist and getting students to do the work for free or the ‘Video for $300 bucks’ route, you’ll get what you paid for. Most likely you won’t be happy.

You want decent ‘How to Videos’ made? You need to hook up with someone who not only knows how to shoot them, but has shot them before. That’s going to cost more than $300. But I’m sure you’ll be much happier with the work. You’re better off looking around for local pros or if there’s a college in your city, see if you can get someone from their film or communications dept. to point you to someone good who’s willing to negotiate.

Inactive

These acquaintances are familiar with this particular dance community and they’ve done similar editing before. I’m going for a particular “hip hop vibe” that I’ve seen them create before. These acquaintances have a presence in social media and YouTube so they wouldn’t want less-than-competent work floating around. With them, I’m not worried about quality, it would be more about pushing them to meet deadlines.

In my budget I actually had around $1,000 for the editor since I didn’t know how many hours they would have to put in. Considering your low end was $300, I’m guessing the editors wouldn’t be offended at being offered $500 for the project.

Originally I was going to do 10 videos per shoot. That would be 5 separate video shoots. I was considering paying the editor around $300 per video shoot, including editing. It seems like I can save quite a bit of money by lumping the whole project together and shooting all 50 short clips in one day.

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Can you provide any more details about each segment? How many shots each? Do they need titles and/or graphics? Music? Voice over? These are likely questions any videographer will ask you before giving you a quote.

Inactive

Not sure what the forum rules are on posting links, but here is a good example of what I’m going for, except my videos would be closer to 2 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFMRkaAteeY

I’m still developing my brand & channel name. I would like the editor to make a unique intro to slap onto the beginning of all the videos. It would be nice to have multiple camera angles and some nice angles as well. The above link really sums up what I’m going for.

I’ll need to acquire license-free music or simple beats that I can give to the video editor to use in the videos, but that’s another project in itself.

Based on a still-accepted schedule of one hour per finished minute, you’re looking at 2 minutes x 50 segments for 100 minutes of production … provided, of course, you’re able to keep the final productions at precisely 2 minutes each. Some will likely go 2.5, even three minute unless there’s some REALLY TIGHT control going on in shooting and production, and making sure the “instructional” elements come across in the time per clip provided.

Brings us back to a minimum of 100 minutes of final production x one hour (on average), so 100 hours of editing. If I were to adhere to my standard professional hourly rate of $75, I’m not even in consideration. Using my rate of $45 per hour from two years ago puts me no closer.

I can’t see an experienced editor who knows what he/she is doing, is efficient and performs his/her work on good quality editing tools going for less than $30, and certainly not $20 per hour, for an intensive project requiring good finish, and with what appears to be a tight turnaround schedule.

I wouldn’t commit for less than an estimated one hour per finished minute, unless I was starving or had a zero bank balance with all bills due next week, then I might settle for and commit to an estimate based on half that … one hour per two-minute clip.

Inactive

All of the clips follow the same format, and the intro can be used over and over. I would hope that it would take less than 100 hours.

$3,000 sounds like it would be the market price if I were to contact a seasoned professional. This is a grass-roots type project, and the video editors I have in mind probably are not used to $3,000 paychecks. It’s good to know what the market rate is (that’s why I posted this thread.)

Perhaps I can offer the editor residual income based on # of YouTube views. That would keep my costs down until the channel gets off the ground. YouTube pays participants in the ballpark of $2.00 per 1,000 views.

Inactive

Offering to cut them in is definitely a good option to keep your upfront costs down.

Another way could be to start by only recording one of two of your instructors. This’ll keep your initial investment down without compromising on quality and let you work on building your channel and seeing if the investment is worth the return.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap