How much do i charge?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi Im a freelance videographer based in Texas who has done the majority of my work independently working on varios surf and skate movies. I recently was hired by a company to occasionaly help shoot weddings and also occasionally rent them my camera. I am new to the whole filming wedding gig. How do i go about coming up with prices? The company wants me to list my price for: Renting my camera(Sony VX2000) last Saturday for a two hour shoot and then this Saturday they will be using me and my camera for another shoot around 2 hours. Anyone have any suggestions? I dont want to get ripped off but I would also like the company to call me offer me more work. Any ideas are appreciated.

Participant

Charge more for renting the camera than for sending a videographer and camera. take a deposit for the full replacement cost of the camera if you do rent it.

figure out what you need to pay yourself for your time and wear and tear on your gear, and any other business costs. Compare that to what your competitors are charging. If they are charging considerably more or less than your estimates, find out why, and then make some descisions.

I doubt any advice stating “Charge xxx amount of dollars” is going to help you more than advice telling you to “make a business plan” and figure it out.

Participant

The cam you have that they want to rent, Is it a spare you have, or the one you make your living with?

If it’s a spare then rent it, like don said get the replacment price as a deposit. and far as how much call your local video shops and ask them what they charge. normaly the rental market charges 5 to 10% per day of the replacment price of the gear.

If it is your main cam then do not rent it. If it’s a deal killer then call a local rental company and reant one from them add 10% for your trouble, and don’t forget the replacment cost as a deposit.

Participant

In researching business plans, I came across an interesting rule of thumb. Add up your living and business costs for one month, then divide that number by 80; that gives you your hourly rate (without profit). The idea is that you will work 80 paid hours per month (20 paid hours per week). Of course, you will actually work more than that — doing your accounting, taking classes and training, maintaining your equipment, practicing and experimenting — but you should count on only 20 paid hours per week.

Participant

Usually the rental cost is about 10% of the unit price. 10 rentals later the gear is paid for and the rest is profit. Use this profit to get more gear to rent out. Sell the gear while it still has value to stay on top the industry. At first I always undersold my self. Charge the company xx amount and pay yourself a percent of that. This way you can use profit from labour to cover unexpected costs like transportation. Just make sure the end justifies the means.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap